Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lol

Saw the stuff about Dawlish on the news this morning. Absolutely awful. :(
    I know. I wonder if the FGW will sort out buses. Because it's not exactly temporary!
    I am meant to be travelling up to Lond on Friday. I can't see it happening now. :(
    Us West Country folk are made of sturdy stuff! Our train tracks are not! :/
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I still prefer to live here in the west country than in london, floods or no floods.
    Weekender Offender 
    A million pounds and hot pierced and tattooed guy with a PhD in musicology wouldn't get me to move back to London. Just not a happy place!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I know. I wonder if the FGW will sort out buses. Because it's not exactly temporary!

Buses have been out throughout. The line is expected to be closed until early April.
    I was going through Dawlish a couple of weeks ago and the waves were washing onto the train! I suppose that since the trains were still running, that it was safe, but it was scary nonetheless.
    Surely it wasn't exactly a good idea to put the train line right on the seawall?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    That's Brunel's fault, he built the line in 1846, probably before people knew the true effects of coastal erosion etc. Needless to say the line has been relatively unscathed for the most part since then, and indeed the vast majority of the trains passing the line can more than cope with the waves battering them on occasion.
    Everything is Brunel's fault if you live in Bristol!