Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Competition time - What's your volunteering motto?

AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
When JPick, *helen* and myself were having our creative session to push volunteering on the boards we came up with the following motto:

Volunteering is free and it will make you rich

We wanted to look at volunteering as something that can make you rich, not with money, but richness of experience, richness of adaptability and richness of skills. We wanted to highlight that volunteering - when you think about it - would sometimes even be worth paying for, because it's so beneficial to yourself and the community. Yet, it's free! And we think that's great.

We want you guys to think about our message, and if you think it's any good or not - what do you take from the message? What does it make you feel or think about? Does it make you want to volunteer?

ALSO - To swag our bag of goodies we are running a 'Volunteering Motto' competition - we want you guys to come up with your own motto or slogan that captures what volunteering is about to you. We'll be picking the best one and sending a goodie bag to you.

Can't wait to read your captions so post away. :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My volunteering motto is "above and beyond" it means go beyond what is expected of you, and go above your own targets to achieve something that you are proud of. It could be as small as volunteering for one extra hour, or it could be as big as encouraging a non verbal child I look after to speak!
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Ooh, I've never thought about this, but a JK Rowling quote comes to mind!

"It's impossible to live without failing at something unless you live so continueasly that you might not have lived at all in which case you fail by default."

Not sure how this can be related to volunteering, but more about taking the 'trying new things' approach to volunteering, and giving new things ago. Being able to get out of your confort zone to be able to support your local area, maybe with something small, like gardening is you struggle with the soical aspect, or maybe something more productive, their's such a vast majority of things out their to do, it's being able to change your routine (Which we all have) and life might bring moments of failure, however with failing, it's just about standing up giving it another go, or even taking another approach to it!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    My volunteering motto is "above and beyond"

Mine has the word 'beyond' in it too: 'See people fresh in your mind, reach beyond the daily grind.' It's a line from a poem I wrote last year. Also links to what Angel said about changing your routine.
    My volunteering motto is "everything is possible if you work at it" as many people believe that they can't do something and you can do anything if you put your mind to it. And I know that sometimes I myself have said I can't do certain volunteering opportunities due to a variety of reasons.
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    My volunteering motto is "helping others and having fun" cos volunteering is usually something you enjoy doing and helping others is always a amazing feeling.

Not a very good motto compared to others.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Reward is near, when you volunteer!

I run a football club on a Sunday mornings for under 8. I love it. In fact it surprised how much have enjoyed it. I think sometimes I get more out of it from the kids, and I love the idea that some of them will go on to play in village team of the future and some may be lucky enough to do a bit better than that.
    Weekender Offender 
    'I was given a life, I'm going to use it to make a difference and give back' one of mine
    'To receive happiness you must give happiness'
    I had to think about this carefully and decided this sums up all the reasons i volunteer.
    'do something for others, is doing something for yourself, giving a smile to others, is getting a smile back.'

:)
    Volunteering is its own reward.
    duke wrote: »
    When JPick, *helen* and myself were having our creative session to push volunteering on the boards we came up with the following motto:

Volunteering is free and it will make you rich

Hey!
    I like your quote; it's short and sweet.
    I think that the 'and' should be an 'although' but maybe that's just me being awkward!
    I don't have a volunteering moto and I've never thought to have one. I just do it.
    However, I recently read this article on the vinspired blog and saw a quote from Mahatma Gandhi that made a lot of sense to me 'It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important'.
    Happy volunteering everyone!
    :)
    I think mine would be:

'Never underestimate your ability to make someone else's life better - even if you never know it.'

Volunteering is an experience you can never forget. It makes you a better person, makes you do something wonderful in the world, and allows you to find yourself as a person.
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    Hi guys,

Just a quick update to let you know we will be closing the competition this Friday!

We've got a really cool prize to give away that can now be revealed, 'How to be a productivity ninja' by Graham Alcock.

We'll also be voting on your entries in a really unique way, this Friday at YouthNet Towers & HQ, we'll be printing off your entries and asking all staff to vote on their favourite. This is a really cool way to get everyone at YouthNet thinking about volunteering and for us to show off your entries.

We'll be in touch with the winner on Monday.

Get those final entries in!
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey everyone,

This competition will be closing at 12:30, so last chance to get your entries in!
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Okay, entries are now closed.

All of us at Youthnet will be voting for our favourite today and we'll be revealing the winner on Monday.

Good luck!
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    We have a winner, it was really nice to see everyone in the office thinking about volunteering and discussing your entries on Friday - there was a real variety and it was a close one, but our overall winner is...

*drumroll*

Rosebud with - "do something for others, is doing something for yourself, giving a smile to others, is getting a smile back."

Congratulations rosebud, we felt that it really made us think that volunteering really does make you happy, and it doesn't take much.

We'll be in touch to arrange your prize.

Thanks for all your entries! We hope it's got you thinking about volunteering.
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Massive congratulations rosebud :-) ♥

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Well done rosebud!!! :)
    Thanks guys :) this has made my day!
    Lovely motto rosebud! Well done :)
    Really awesome motto :D