Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depressed within a relationship

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Advice needed folks :(. I am 22 and suffering from depression. I am currently taking anti-depressants and had my first app with a physiatrist this week which I guess shows some sort of progress. I have not self harmed for a couple of weeks despite feeling the overwhelming urge to cut. I live with my boyfriend and I feel like this is getting to much for him. He doesn't seem as happy and I don't want him to be with my purely for feeling sympathy towards me. We have talked about going our separate way, I don't know if that will make me worse. Help?! What can I do to redeem things? I want him to be happy with me and for me to get better :(. Any advice appreciated. x

Comments

• Options
    Hi lucy0991, welcome to the boards :wave:

It's a really good step for you to see a psychiatrist, definitely shows progress and will hopefully help you.

Dealing with depression is already really hard, and being in a relationship can be tough. It's natural for you to worry about how it's affecting him, and it's really important that you both talk honestly about it. When you say you mentioned going your separate ways, how did that go? Does he want it to end or are you both willing to try?

Are you able to talk to friends or family about this? Sometimes stepping back from the situation can help - perhaps your bf is simply worried about you and isn't sure how to help?

Have a look at our site Madlyinlove, which looks at love and mental health.

Do let us know how you get on, good luck *hug*
  • Options
    :) she bet me to it hehe
  • Options
    :) she bet me to it hehe

:blush: Feel free to say more bubbley-Heather! Your advice and outlook is always valued :yes:
  • Options
    christele wrote: »
    :blush: Feel free to say more bubbley-Heather! Your advice and outlook is always valued :yes:

Nee it's ok I got things going on of my own (which I posted as u might of seen) I forgot too now :/
  • Options
    Hello Lucy0991,

My advice would be to definitely talk this through with your boyfriend :) If he's a loyal and good enough man for you, he'll support you through depression and he shouldn't leave you because of that. (That is most probably not the case anyway:) )

Also its definitely good to talk to a psychiatrist/counsellor about your problems to vent about everything.

When anyone is feeling down, they want a loved one there to understand and be there for them and you need to tell him this. As I said if he's a good enough person for you, he'll understand! Maybe talk it out on a walk (when it's not raining :p ) Fresh air is always good. I try to get out every day even if its just to the corner shop or a random walk round my area :D

Good luck and hope things get better for you :)

R xx