Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ask the site?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
Is it now only for relationship advice or have I found a bug? Everything linking ask the site seems to be about relationships all of a sudden :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've realised that too, it seems to be relationships with family, friends, or partners.
  • Options
    Can a mod shed some light?
  • Options
    I think the change took place when it moved from AskTheSite to Ask a Question but it's been a relationships service for a while now.
  • Options
    I think it has been a relationship service for a while, but thesite also had an issue with a few broken links. Over the years the behemoth that is thesite has been built up higher and higher, so when they came to rebuild the foundations fresh and new (via the software that makes it work/manages it) it unearthed a few problems. So whilst the service has been relationship based for a while now, I think it's better that links redirect to something rather than a 404 page. There are literally hundreds of thousands of links to the site, which over 16+ years means that not everything that people point to (from sites beyond thesites control) exists anymore, and in some cases hasnt existed for many years. Quite a lot of those issues have been solved (I went looking through thousands of links).
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Is it now only for relationship advice or have I found a bug? Everything linking ask the site seems to be about relationships all of a sudden :(

Hey Miss Riot,

Ask a Question became a Relationships only service around September last year. This was mainly due to funding constraints unfortunately, the service was just too expensive for YouthNet to continue running in that way.

That's not to say one day we might be able to add other topics again but for now it's focus is Relationships only. If you ask a question about anything else you will still get a response with plenty of signposting and links so that hopefully you can still find your answer elsewhere.

It's a real shame and we miss it too but there are also lots of great plans in the pipeline for the Relationships service so watch this space ;)