Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Replying to job applications

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Over the past 2 or 3 weeks I think I've applied for about 50 jobs. I have an interview on Wednesday with a recruitment lady who contacted me (:yes:) but otherwise, no replies.

I was wondering if it's worth following up a job application with a short email or letter, but I wouldn't know what to say. Also how long after the initial application to send it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it is definitely worth getting in touch. Many people won't.

I was recently called in regards to a job interview. Although I didn't get it in the end it was a useful learning curve. The only reason I got it was because I was one of the only people who rang up asking if I had been successful. It did say on the job application that I should consider myself unsuccessful if I had not heard back, but I mainly rang for some feedback if possible.
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Lexi99

Yey! Good luck for the interview on Wednesday :)

In terms of getting in touch after sending an application, I would wait until the closing date for applicants, it should say this on the advert or website. Maybe leave it a few days (some people take a while to review applications) after the closing date and then drop them an email or a call -As G-Raffe said there is no harm getting in touch, often the employer will be happy to give you feedback on your application if you request it. This can be useful for any future applications you may make.

TheSite work and study section has lots of great tips for contacting potential employers and also some CV and interview advice that you might find useful.

Let us know how Wednesday goes, good luck x
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Over the past 2 or 3 weeks I think I've applied for about 50 jobs. I have an interview on Wednesday with a recruitment lady who contacted me (:yes:) but otherwise, no replies.

I was wondering if it's worth following up a job application with a short email or letter, but I wouldn't know what to say. Also how long after the initial application to send it?

12-13 years ago I applied for jobs I had experience in. But then I applied for jobs I couldn't do. I made about 50 apps in one week! Only had a few interviews. Its even harder to look for a job now.

Its a shame I can't do the same procedure now that I'm out of work!

Good luck in your search :)
    PGreen wrote: »
    Hey Lexi99

Yey! Good luck for the interview on Wednesday :)

Well it went... ok. Im not getting put forward for the job I applied for but I am for a different temp job thats on the books.

I was an idiot and said that I wasnt specifically looking for a job in insurance (that the job was for) but happy in an office environment. I wasnt really thinking that this would be a big deciding factor when talking to the recruitment lady.

Oh well, live and learn, and Ive been inspired by my works management course I went on today so im going to contact some people and be pro-active instead of waiting for a job advert
    The last time I chased up a job application I got a very rude reply so I haven't bothered since. I know it's probably not the best way to go though. How's the hunt going?
    If it doesn't specifically say you will hear from us in X days if you are successful then maybe drop them an email, it'll show you're enthusiastic. But if it says consider yourself unsuccessful if you haven't heard from us in X then maybe not, because like ballerina says they might get rude. Depends where it's for as well though, big chains I wouldn't bother chasing it up but smaller family run/local businesses I would :)
    Ballerina wrote: »
    The last time I chased up a job application I got a very rude reply so I haven't bothered since. I know it's probably not the best way to go though. How's the hunt going?

It could be better. The recruitment lady said she'd put me forward for the temp job but I haven't heard anything yet, and also I've applied for so many jobs through recruitment sites, I wouldn't really know where to start with chasing them up. I am going to contact a couple of agencies in my area though, and do a bit more research on the skills I need to work on
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    It could be better. The recruitment lady said she'd put me forward for the temp job but I haven't heard anything yet, and also I've applied for so many jobs through recruitment sites, I wouldn't really know where to start with chasing them up. I am going to contact a couple of agencies in my area though, and do a bit more research on the skills I need to work on

Keep hunting and you'll land a job eventually :)