Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Exam technique

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
In an exam, do you think it's better to try and finish the paper, even if it may mean rushing some questions or is it better to work at a steady pace, making sure everything is right, even if you don't finish about a quarter of the paper.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I always do the most significant questions first (the longest ones, normally at the end) to enable me to get maximum marks. I wouldn't rush, just get the long ones done first and any other small ones at the end if you have time
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Get the most difficult one out of the way first so you don't have to think about it after and get a better flow with the easier questions you like. Personally, if I like the questions, or it's a topic I like, then I panic less and my answers are more concise and detailed. If you save your favorite for the end then you don't waste time worrying, and will probably have a wider knowledge of things to include so you won't go blank. The advice given is for essays though. Agree with Broken Angel about long questions first. Wish you the best for any exams that are looming.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Erm, I'd disagree, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to complete them in the time given otherwise it wouldn't be fair. Do practice papers at home and get used to the timing, I think it's better off working through the paper from the start skipping anyway that you're more unsure of and going back to them after you've finished the others. What kind of paper is it?
  • Options
    I agree with Annaarrr, but if you really can't finish it's best to give a short, but structured answer to the longer questions and make sure the short ones are done; the last 2 marks on an essay question are much harder to get than two marks for a short question.
  • Options
    A quantitative one.
  • Options
    I've always wondered, do you think in university exams, they give you marks wherever they can, even if its completely wrong, like they did for A-Levels, or do you think it's marked more subjectively? So for example, they could decide not to give any marks for a particular question if they think the persons hasn't understood what's being examined properly.
  • Options
    Ybe7 wrote: »
    I've always wondered, do you think in university exams, they give you marks wherever they can, even if its completely wrong, like they did for A-Levels, or do you think it's marked more subjectively? So for example, they could decide not to give any marks for a particular question if they think the persons hasn't understood what's being examined properly.

I think that whilst an incorrect answer but sound working out is worthy of points, if something is completely wrong then people shouldn't be getting marks for it. As for how exams are marked by any particular institution, you're best off approaching them and asking the question directly, as anything I say would be a complete guess.
  • Options
    Hey there Ybe7,
    I think G-Raffe may be right about looking to see how your university marks their exams. They should have a marking criteria that you can have a look at when preparing for exams to structure your revision.
    In my experience of answering longer questions (at all levels) the easiest marks to be gained are at the start of the answer.
    But do find out your university's marking scheme (or speak to a tutor if you can't find one) and ask them what they're looking for when marking questions.
    Maybe you could also look at improving time management techniques to help improve your ability to get through the paper - I guess at the most basic this is knowing how many questions there will be and how long you have the for the exam. You can then practise answering questions in the time available.
    Good luck! :thumb: