Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I hacked OK Cupid to find my future fiancee

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
OK, so not me - but some mathematician dude :cool:

Was just talking to Jpick and Alex about this - not sure what to feel - is it romantic that he went to such lengths to reach his 'match' :heart: or is it just weird? :yuck:

Here's the article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2543750/How-mathematician-35-used-computer-algorithms-hack-OkCupid-future-fiancee-just-90-days.html

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I saw the title of this thread and was like :crazyeyes

No, that's just weird.. and I don't think they're 'soul-mates'. I'm shocked to see someone has gone to such lengths to meet someone. It's weird.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I saw the title of this thread and was like :crazyeyes

No, that's just weird.. and I don't think they're 'soul-mates'. I'm shocked to see someone has gone to such lengths to meet someone. It's weird.

Dedication, right? ;)

What's your take on 'soul-mates'?
    **helen** wrote: »
    Dedication, right? ;)

What's your take on 'soul-mates'?

:lol:

I'm not sure if 'soul-mates' exist how most people see them. I shall try and explain.

I believe my 'soul-mate' is my ex, my first love. No, we didn't stay together so people might think 'well he isn't your soul-mate then', but to me it's not about that. I don't think I believe in the idea of just coming across 'the one', locking eyes, and instantly knowing that you're going to be together forever. It doesn't work like that.

I met my ex, I eventually fell in love with him, and he has changed my life in more ways than I ever thought was possible so for that he will always be a part of me, forever. I will never forget the qualities he bought out in me, I will never forget the things he taught me, I will never forget the positive changes he helped me to make. For this, he is and he always will be, my 'soul-mate'.
    What's your take on 'soul-mates', helen? :)
    What's your take on 'soul-mates', helen? :)

My take is in your first sentence, they don't exist. :)
    So... he never actually hacked the site.
    I don't really endorse so what he did was OK in my book, but then soulmates don't really exist IMO, nor any other supernatural forces.
    I don't think he was doing anything wrong, nothing that the OK Cupid APIs didn't provide and the information was all on there. It is a nice story about the use of technology and I don't think it is that creepy. After all, better that he found the person with the qualities he likes and finds attractive, than missing out?
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I don't think he was doing anything wrong, nothing that the OK Cupid APIs didn't provide and the information was all on there. It is a nice story about the use of technology and I don't think it is that creepy. After all, better that he found the person with the qualities he likes and finds attractive, than missing out?

I totally see where you're coming from but just wanted to ask about your last sentence. To me, the way you've worded it makes it sound like this guy had two options. One being he went to such lengths to meet someone, or the other option being he would have never met anyone he likes with similar qualities without going to such lengths (that's what i got from 'missing out'). Could you please elaborate on this?

Sorry, just intrigued by this thread :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    What confuses me is why there was even a need to do all that. Isn't it the website's "job" to do it? One would expect it to use an algorithm like that, and apparently it doesn't...
    It does. But he chose to optimise it. The site picks questions for you to answer at random. I've answered over 2000 at this point and I still come across people who have answered about 25 who have answered ones I haven't.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    So... he never actually hacked the site.

I guess not in the true sense. What's your take on the relationships element?
    helen whos alex
    I totally see where you're coming from but just wanted to ask about your last sentence. To me, the way you've worded it makes it sound like this guy had two options. One being he went to such lengths to meet someone, or the other option being he would have never met anyone he likes with similar qualities without going to such lengths (that's what i got from 'missing out'). Could you please elaborate on this?

Sorry, just intrigued by this thread :)

I meant that he has met someone he has fallen in love with, that he might otherwise not have.
    My opinion on this is: HOW THE HECK CAN I DO THIS NOW PLS!!!!!
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    My opinion on this is: HOW THE HECK CAN I DO THIS NOW PLS!!!!!

Where have you got to with online dating? :)
    17 dates since last march and no second date. So pretty much no where!
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    17 dates since last march and no second date. So pretty much no where!

Were there any that you would have liked to have a second date with?
    One or two. One really - a really nice guy who works for BBC wales as a continuity announcer. But apparently I required more emotional input than he could give! Whatever that means!
    I also think its worth mentioning, he found his soul mate out of all the women who are on OKCupid. What about the thousands who arent? How does he know one of these isnt his soul mate?
    He doesn't. But if he's happy who cares!
    Very true :)
    I'm not taking online dating too seriously at the moment - mainly because (prompted by this thread I checked my messages) I get messages like this:

"hi hun how r u be lovery two chat and get two no u beter and for u two no me beter you are a good looking girl hope two hear a messg back from u big hug big kis XXX"

"Hi Just Fishin' flower >;*) "

"hya sexy have you got eny fetishes xxx"
    Then again, there are plenty of people who would say things like that if you met and tried to get to know them in person, without online interaction.
    At least this way I don't have to meet them and can deal without the stench of cheap aftershave and being called a bird. I reserve the right to run over with my wheelchair the toes of anyone who calls me that!!