Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

They've given up..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I didn't really know where to go with this. My friend just got their first 'fail' in an exam. Now to add context this person is a high flyer, A*s/As with some Bs at worst. But on a recent mock exam they received a C which could've been a D as teachers are unsure of what the boundaries would be due to it not being an official paper. But they find it difficult to trust others and the other person they'd be willing to talk about this with is never there,so it falls on me, and every time I seem to make progress in getting them to see how it can get better and how they'll succeed in Summer it only takes one minor event to push them back to a point of no hope. I don't see what I can do but I can't just leave them like this, please tell me what I should be doing. :confused:

Thank you
~J~

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Everyone fails an exam now and then. What's the matter?
    To put it simply, at our school the teachers are quite elitist and build up this mental thing in students' heads of anything below a B is a fail, now if you aren't a brilliant student it doesn't stick. But, if you're a student who rarely drops to Bs, this sticks and dropping to Cs can be quite hard to deal with let alone 1 ums into a C.
    Your friend hasn't actually failed though, a C is still a pass.

Can your friend re-take the exam?
    Yeah, its a mock its purely psychological, but still they're suffering and that's the important part? Doesn't matter why they're suffering, they still don't deserve being abandoned.
    Nobody has ever said otherwise, of course it's important and you're being an amazing friend.

So, if your friend could re-take, do you think that could help?
    Yeah, I know in the actual exam they'll do brilliantly, it's more just getting them to see that. You see the exam they 'failed' is the subject they want to study at Uni which explains why its hitting harder too.