Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rolf Harris

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I read about the trial, it seemed a part of my childhood died lol.. In seriousness I guess back then you look up to people like him as so good and helpful, but then we know the truth. I guess such is life lol..

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi danston, just wondering if you were looking to have a discussion about this and the trials in general? Can be tricky to know what to respond with when there isn't a question attached to the thread - were you looking for other people's views on this?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As much as it may pain some people to say this, this is a trial and he has not yet been found guilty.

There is of course a wider discussion as to how attitudes have changed through the years, especially in terms of what people have and did turn a blind eye to.

I think it is a good thing that we are seeing more of these cases, as it proves accusations are beginning to be taken more seriously than they were before. The reason I phrased my opening line in the way I did, is to make it clear as to the point that people dont want to be getting themselves in trouble on here.

From a legal perspective, stating someone is guilty before the conclusion of a trial can be problematic. Though perhaps more importantly, it is paramount to point out that if anything of this nature has happened to you then it isn't wrong to want to seek help. If you have suffered abuse in the past, it is not your fault.
    I was listening to radio 2 today and they were talking about whether lord somebody or other should apologise for (i assume) abusing or groping a woman.

As many ive said the definition of abuse has definately changed since the 60s/70s. What was once a hand on the knee and easily brushed over is now more likely to have something done about it. Anyway a woman rang in and said that whilst HE may not have thought there was anything wrong with it, offence has been caused and so an apology should be given.

I think if you offend somebody, even if you dont understand why, something should be done for the victim, whether an apology or something more
    **helen** wrote: »
    Hi danston, just wondering if you were looking to have a discussion about this and the trials in general? Can be tricky to know what to respond with when there isn't a question attached to the thread - were you looking for other people's views on this?

Yes. Well, I guess like most younger people I grew up watching his programmes, so it's sad that all the time despite his good shows he was abusing people. Reminds me of Jimmy Saville in a way.

So I'm just lamenting on the above point, not wishing he is guilty or saying he is such (I'm as strong a defender of common law principles as anybody else haha..)
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I was listening to radio 2 today and they were talking about whether lord somebody or other should apologise for (i assume) abusing or groping a woman.

I think if you offend somebody, even if you dont understand why, something should be done for the victim, whether an apology or something more

It has been decided, (although I can't remember by whom) that there isn't enough evidence to prosecute him or sue him in civil court. That said I can fully understand why he won't apologise, for the same reason I'm told never to apologise if I crash a work car. An apology is an admission of liability and in a day and age of lawsuits, if I were in his position, however much I'd want to, I wouldn't apologise either.