Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What to expect from a Psychological Assessment?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got offered a psychological assessment in January to assess my needs by a therapist in the CMHT. Now this is only a assessment I've had lots before but in other types of services I have accessed. Never for psychology not properly. but what can you expect from one? I'm not even sure I have the courage to say what I want which is that I am struggling each day and need someone to help me. All I have is anti depressants at the moment which aren't helping so I've been told to come of them by my GP.
The other stuff is taking its toll. I hope that she doesn't turn around and say you have Aspergers I can't help you or put you onto a waiting list. I am trying to think positive but of anyone has any suggestions about what I could do inadvance and prepare for it?

��

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've had a few of these for different services and there's really not much you can do to prepare except be clear in your own mind about what needs to come across.

It's also worth bearing in mind, so it doesn't come as a shock if it happens, that often assessments are for waiting lists so it might still be a few months before you're offered treatment.
    Agree with Picc.

I had mine back in September - and it was what I struggle with, what help I'd like and then they put you on waiting lists.
    They normally put you on a group therapy waiting list as apparently that's much shorted than 1-2-1 support.

I'd say to you, just be honest and discuss what you struggle and what you want help with.
    My first psychological assessment was sufficiently awkward. I'm not a particularly outward person, so me being me, I used an online form where you select the areas of mental health which are affecting you and print off the form.

http://www.docready.org/static/client/index.html#/home

So after mumbling about how I was struggling, I shoved my completed form into the hands of the doctor and got on with it.

But my advice would be to tell the doctor/professional how you are feeling and say what you want done.
    What to expect from a Psychological Assessment?

Agree :)
    Heya :)

In all of my assessment it has always been asking about current issues, what you want to change/help you want, a bit about your history and upbringing, questions about meds etc..

Perhaps you could write down what you want the outcome to be so if you don't feel comfortable talking in the session (as any assessment can be quite nerve wrecking when you have only just met the people I know) you always have that to hand over as a last resort?

I hope it goes well!
    Thank you for all your replies. I am quite anxious about it but will see how it goes. Apparently eating disorder service doesn't want to see me until I've had this assessment. :/
    Have been having panic attacks and feeling anxious. I seem to be cancelling things last minute. I don't know why. ��
    Hey Sonia,

I just wondered, have you had your assessment yet?

*hug*
    Hi Butterfly123
    Thanks for asking. I had it on Wednesday although it wasn't what I was expecting. She gave me a self help book to come
    Back next week for. I don't actually think she understood my problems but I'm
    Willing to give it a go. I am on medication as well 20mg of Citalopram. I hope it helps.

Hugs xxx