Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bizzaro

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
So, when Jpick, Duke and I were talking about our first exposure to volunteering yesterday afternoon, we realised that a lot of funny, silly things can happen when you're away from your usual crowd.

Volunteering often does just that, it takes you out of your comfort zone and flings you into social situations that are really quite odd.

So, we'd really like to hear about your most off-beat experiences, what are they?

I think one of mine was volunteering to help out at a community street party. My friend and I volunteered to help recruit kids to take part in YMCA's summer programmes. We thought we'd put ourselves forward to sell raffle tickets or run a simple game. When we got there we were handed clown costumes and asked to dress and and do face-painting! :lol: It ended up being really fun and it was an amazing conversation starter. Perhaps the weirdest thing was realizing that a local journo was there and so we couldn't hide it from our friends - we were in the Gazette the following week. :blush:

I would put a pic, but I know bananamonkey is scared of them. :razz:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh my gosh that's funny, you should definitely post a picture!

Using bananamonkey as an excuse helen ;)

I used to volunteer as a leader at kids club with my friends, but I don't think I have any funny stories.

Reading that you had to dress as a clown and trying to imagine it made me laugh though :D
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

I used to volunteer as a leader at kids club with my friends, but I don't think I have any funny stories.

Aww, I bet you do! Have a think about it - maybe look at some photos if you have some to remind you ;)
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Thanks for considering me Helen. Clowns are so scary :(

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    I like this thread. I can't think of anything right now though, so will come back :)
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    I remember having to dress up as a burglar to drop leaflets about crime prevention through people's open windows and unlocked doors on my university campus.

Turned out to be a lot of fun, but we got some pretty strange looks!
    :lol:

%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3%20Burglar%20Bill-1551197
    :lol: I do love this thread!
    **helen** wrote: »
    :lol:

%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3%20Burglar%20Bill-1551197

Can we dress JPick up as Burglar Bill at the next weekender? Pretty please?
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    JPick wrote: »
    I remember having to dress up as a burglar to drop leaflets about crime prevention through people's open windows and unlocked doors on my university campus.

Turned out to be a lot of fun, but we got some pretty strange looks!

I might be able to trump your embarrassing outfit..I used to volunteer for the Academic and Welfare team at Uni and I had to dress up as a giant pink condom and give out free condoms to raise awareness of the SHAG campaign (sexual health and guidance)! To top it off they were showing perspective students and their parents around -got a few funny looks! :blush:

Check it out! x

Attachment not found.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    PGreen wrote: »
    I might be able to trump your embarrassing outfit..I used to volunteer for the Academic and Welfare team at Uni and I had to dress up as a giant pink condom and give out free condoms to raise awareness of the SHAG campaign (sexual health and guidance)! To top it off they were showing perspective students and their parents around -got a few funny looks! :blush:

Check it out! x

Attachment not found.

Amazing. Day made!! :D
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    **helen** wrote: »
    When we got there we were handed clown costumes and asked to dress and and do face-painting! :lol: It ended up being really fun and it was an amazing conversation starter. Perhaps the weirdest thing was realizing that a local journo was there and so we couldn't hide it from our friends - we were in the Gazette the following week. :blush:

Ha, some of us did that as a job when younger :D
    I was once dragged along/volunteered to help on a dental health stand at a fete. Initially doesn't sound too bad, but it was the middle of summer and there were 2 fancy dress costumes between four of us on the stand. One of the full on Bear outfits, and one Tooth Fairy. The bear costume was sweltering and the tooth fairy one you felt ridiculous in and everyone could see you. As a result we took it in turns in each costume, which resulted in every 40 minutes or so a conbination of normal person, massive bear and a tooth fairy disappearing into the McDonald's disable toilets to swap outfits.
    Loving the fancy dress theme this thread has taken!