Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Reading Resolutions 2014

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What are yours, O wise bookclubbers?

1) Inspired by Susan Hill's Howard's End is on the Landing, and the time it took Fiend and I to get all our books moved into one room (although I think I still have some boxes at my parents'...) my resolve is to read all the books we own that I have not red.

A random and unrepresentative sample:
  • Neil Gaiman's Sandman books 8-10
  • The Serpent's Promise by Steve Jones
  • The Queen of Whale Cay by Kate Summerscale
  • Endless Raymond Feist books (I've only read Magician, but t'missus owns them all)
  • The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  • All of Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children series.

We also got most of the Gollancz Top 10 for Christmas (I've already read Eric, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and I Am Legend):
    Gollancz-Set-300x198.jpg

2) I have a classic books calendar for 2014 and I'd like to read the ones of their 12 I haven't yet read:
January: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
February: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
April: Save me the Waltz by Zelda Fitzgerald
June: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
July: On the Road by Jack Kerouac
August: Light in August by William Faulkner.

3) I'm going to make better use of the library!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Picc, if you need a copy of Light in August give me a shout and I'll see if I've still got it when I next visit my dad :). (I think I also have a copy of On The Road, but I may be wrong)

My mission this year is to read at least a book a month. Doesn't sound much but I've been struggling to in recent times.
    My mission this year is to read at least a book a month. Doesn't sound much but I've been struggling to in recent times.

:yes: Me, too.
    I love reading :yes:

Recently I've been thinking about reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, so may have to try and read that at some point this year. Not that I know what it's about though, just heard lots of good reviews.
    Jane Eyre is lovely and very accessible, I'd really recommend it.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    So I've already been reading more than usual in 2014 and have already finished:

Counselling for toads: a psychological adventure by Robert de board

and

Picture me gone by Meg Rosoff (an author highly recommend by Holly!)

Both are :heart:

I got a few books for Christmas including Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance which I'm looking forward to massively.

Picc, in your list the only one I've read is Life of Pi, which I loved. But also pretty curious about the Sandman books. :thumb:
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I started to read soulmates

but my concentration has been worse than ever recently so I have only read one chapter so far.

however I am enjoying it.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    Yeah nice well i have already planned to read ..!