Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

where do you volunteer?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Getting in the spirit of this volunteering post spree!

Where do you guys/have you guys volunteered? Do you feel you gained anything from the experience, and would you reccomend volunteering there to other people?

I used to volunteer in an oxfam charity shop, it gave me some good retail skills! Unfortunately it was a very quiet shop at the end of town and not many people came in, so there wasn't much to do. Taught me how to use a till though which has proved helpful, and also helped me become more confident in speaking to strangers. Some rude people came in obviously, always the danger in retail! But if you can bite your tongue, and maybe aren't very energetic or mobile then working in a charity shop is a great way to "give something back".

I currently volunteer with the springboard project, which organises days out for disabled children and runs a regular Saturday club. I love volunteering here more than anything, the children are so lovely and it's great for them to have the use of sensory rooms and safe areas they can play in and also to get out into the community. A lot of the children are severely disabled, and it's a good feeling knowing that they can have a fun day while their parents have a rest or spend quality time with their other children. 10/10 would reccomend doing something like this, and I know that male volunteers are in high demand (a lot of the young autistic boys will not interact with female volunteers). We are paired one to one with a child, so it's a demanding experience but well worth it if you are able to take part. The springboard project runs in several place in south east England, and I'm sure there are similar clubs across the country.

Where do you guys volunteer?

Comments

• Options
    That's really great B-A!

I used to volunteer as a leader at kids club, it was in a church and there were about ten of us. We had to help the children make things, play games with them, they had competitions, we gave out prizes to the ones that we thought were being the best behaved. My friends wanted to join but only if I would join with them, but I'm so glad I did because I loved it and the children loved it and I think it helped me to become more sensible about things.

I used to do the walking bus after school sometimes, when I was with my ex.

I really want to volunteer now, I would love to actually give something back to people, I just wish I had the confidence still.
  • Options
    I volunteered with a charity that does a lot of community and environmental work. It was hard work at times, but lots of fun and I gained skills and helped with confidence. Most of the work I did was outside, from improving a nature area, building bird boxes and benches, litter picking, and planning an event for the public. I also got a qualification at the end of it and did first aid training with them.
  • Options
    Most of my voluntary stuff is for YouthNet.

I often joke that Helen et al get me doing everything going, but I really appreciate how much they have faith in me and it's really helped me to grow in a lot of ways. Tomorrow, for example, I'm going to be talking at a dead posh restaurant in front of a bunch of dead rich folk, with the CEO of YouthNet.

It gives me a little bit of a spring in my step whenever I get asked to do something new for them :)
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian

I often joke that Helen et al get me doing everything going, but I really appreciate how much they have faith in me and it's really helped me to grow in a lot of ways. Tomorrow, for example, I'm going to be talking at a dead posh restaurant in front of a bunch of dead rich folk, with the CEO of YouthNet.

It gives me a little bit of a spring in my step whenever I get asked to do something new for them :)

I love how you say 'Helen Et al' - Clearly she's the most important, and the others don't need to be named ;) Haha!

Volunteering for me, isn't a lot, however, I'm part of many college clubs, which is always great for the future to!

I volunteer with BeatBullying, as a mentor. Which involves supporting young people under the age of 18, surrounding a variety of issues, mostly bullying. It's all online based however, so my times are pretty much free flow on it :) I'm also a media ambassador for them, it's great to get involved in the media side of all :)

I recently finished volunteering with a Primary school, I worked mostly with the less able kids, and did 1-2-1 reading to, which I enjoyed, as it approached A2 in college, I chose to focus on college, however, I really would love to volunteer more in that area if I was to get the chance to.

I took part in the NCS, Experience of a Lifetime, which was to do with working in the environment as well as the people around us, including elderly, etc. Which again, I loved. I also made amazing friends through it.

I currently volunteer with Mencap, which again, I really enjoy, I help out with stalls at large events, and I've been pointed out as being quite the sales person, due to my loud voice, and my confidence! It's okay to yell when volunteering ;)

I volunteer with GirlGuiding UK, with Guides on a weekly basis, and I'm working towards my adult leadership qualification, which I'm looking forward to at the age of 18! I drag my sister along, so was able to get her involved in it :)

Like Franki, I volunteer with TheSite leaders, and it's great being part off that, and getting to know users, etc.

I'm currently volunteering at an elderly peoples home, which I love, the elderly love me, so it's all great, and it's always good to natter to them!

However, even though the above varies, it's not a lot, I also partake in college sports, and I do hope to join a running team soon!

Sports,
    - Badminton
    - Basketball
    - Football
    - Member of the college gym
    - Tae-kwon-do
    - Currently involved in the DofE

Not sports

- Debate team
    - Chess club (I'm not a chess friend, but I know friends who go, so I partake in the games and loose)
    - Level one BSL Course,

But yeaaah, fun times! All pretty much aspects of the future, however, thought I would rant on ;)
  • Options

Forgot to mention my thesite volunteering! I volunteer with leaders, and also have done public speaking training and am invited to similar things to franki.

Great to hear about all your volunteering roles guys! :)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    Really loving reading about all your guys volunteering experiences and what you are up to at the moment, you're very busy people! It just proves that you can do what you want, where you want and when it suits you in regards to volunteering.

As far as my own volunteering currently, I am a mentor/buddy to a young person through an organisation called Friendship Works, I've been doing it for just over a year now and we've done some really cool things together such as go to Thorpe Park, Chessington World of Adventures, The Science Museum, play badminton and my personal favourite - the local caff for a fry up.

It's a really rewarding experience and seeing how we've both gotten to know each other over time and become friends (if slightly dysfunctional sometimes) is really fun, as well as going on some great trips. I'd been meaning to do it for a while as I am a fiend for wasting my Saturdays or Weekends so now its something I really look forward to each weekend.
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I volunteer with YouthNet. And really enjoy that, I have met some really lovely people and gained lots of experiences.

I also volunteer for a charity that promotes everyday friendships with children and young people with additional needs. I go along to a bowling group every two weeks, and I love it. I love getting to see their faces when they are bowling and how much they have fun, they are a great bunch of children and young people.

Since volunteering at both places I have gained my confidence and also my communication skills and met some wonderful people. Volunteering is something I love. I would love to get involved with some more volunteering work but it's just fitting it around my job atm.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "