Home Work & Volunteering
We've started our first discussion for our Christmas campaign which is focusing on religion or cultural beliefs that help you when you're feeling down. Some of the responses will be used anonymously on social media as a video. If you'd like to take part, head over to this thread.

mum wants me to work or volunteer...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 14 and my Mum wants me to volunteer because I'm not doing the Duke of Edinburgh award. I go to a church club on a Sunday and I'm the oldest so I'm going to ask to be classed as a volunteer but I don't know whether I will be allowed.
Any places that I could volunteer? I like looking after kids and doing art. I'm kinda socially awkward (but that's only if your a stranger!).
Any ideas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You might find it tricky under 16 - I know I did but it might have changed - because a lot of places I talked to couldn't take younger people either as a general policy or because of their insurance.

I worked in a charity shop which was not my first choice but actually did wonders for my confidence
  • AndyAndy Moderator Posts: 185 Settling in
    Hi there lostangel,

As piccolo has mentioned it can be tricky finding a volunteer role if you are under 16 but there will still be places and organisations that can offer you something. It may be worth speaking to your local volunteer centre - you can find your nearest one by using Do-it's Volunteer Centre Finder and booking an appointment.

The volunteer centre will know of organisations in your local area that have volunteer roles for under 16s. Alternatively on Do-it there is an article full of information and resources for volunteers under 16.

Also as piccolo said, it can be a really rewarding experience to volunteer, you won't just learn new skills but you'll meet some new people and pick up confidence along the way.

All the best, Andy
    If you cant find anywhere that'll let you volunteer at 14 why not help elderly family friends or relatives do some cleaning or gardening?

I volunteered at an oxfam book shop at 14, but I don't know if it's the same policy for all shops across the country.
    Thanks guys. I know volunteer at Brownies and at my local church club on a Sunday:)