Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

BBC news alcoholics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

Has anyone read the bbc news sites about alcoholics? Should there be an Inbetween? What are your thoughts?

What's an alcoholic? What's not?

Is there a Inbetween?

I think there should be a Inbetween, what is an alcolholic those that drink in the morning. Well what if you drink at 12.01pm it's afternoon not an alcoholic then?

Is it units that make you alcoholic or bottles? Is it light weights or?

Do you have thoughts?

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm far from knowing anything about it but I was under the impression that it's not about how much or what one drinks but about feeling they have to drink, that things won't be right if they don't.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :wave:

I haven't seen this on the news sites.

I don't think there is an in between but I think there should be, definitely.

Apparently someone is either an alcoholic, or not. Does that mean if someone isn't classed as an alcoholic then they're not going to get help with drinking?

I agree with what you say, it's like apparently it's completely wrong to drink before the afternoon at least, but is that supposed to mean it doesn't matter how much you drink as long as it's afternoon? That's just silly!

I think anyone that drinks a lot need help, not a lot to get wasted, maybe just even people that can't go a day without at least one drink. Yet, in my opinion, some professionals and maybe even family members just think 'oh, well everything is perfectly fine as this person isn't getting absolutely drunk all the time', but that's not the case at all. Or sometimes they don't even think anything of it at all. I think anyone that drinks, for whatever reason, has some sort of problem.

I wouldn't say I have a problem as such, but I am reliant on alcohol sometimes for my own reasons. I'm able to sort of control it at the moment, but there are people that have become so reliant that it's part of their routine. These people aren't alcoholics, but just because they're not, does that mean they're fine?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    It's got nothing to do with the time of day or how much you drink. An alcoholic is somebody who is dependant on alcohol., physically or emotionally. Abusing alcohol doesn't automatically make you an alcoholic.

My use is usually quite light, maybe a beer after work one or twice a week. Every now and again I will abuse alcohol by binge drinking. I would suggest that if your self medicating with alcohol then you have a drink problem.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    What's the point of an in between? Youre either dependant on alcohol or you're not, amount isn't strictly relevant
    :wave:

I haven't seen this on the news sites.

I don't think there is an in between but I think there should be, definitely.

Apparently someone is either an alcoholic, or not. Does that mean if someone isn't classed as an alcoholic then they're not going to get help with drinking?

I agree with what you say, it's like apparently it's completely wrong to drink before the afternoon at least, but is that supposed to mean it doesn't matter how much you drink as long as it's afternoon? That's just silly!

I think anyone that drinks a lot need help, not a lot to get wasted, maybe just even people that can't go a day without at least one drink. Yet, in my opinion, some professionals and maybe even family members just think 'oh, well everything is perfectly fine as this person isn't getting absolutely drunk all the time', but that's not the case at all. Or sometimes they don't even think anything of it at all. I think anyone that drinks, for whatever reason, has some sort of problem.

I wouldn't say I have a problem as such, but I am reliant on alcohol sometimes for my own reasons. I'm able to sort of control it at the moment, but there are people that have become so reliant that it's part of their routine. These people aren't alcoholics, but just because they're not, does that mean they're fine?

You make some valid points there butterfly and I agree with a lot of them!

It's not about being drunk, jobless and all. I read the question of is there a functioning alcoholic? The definition of alcoholic implies that you have to be unable to hold down a job to come in the category.

The reasons why people drink should be considered, looking at all aspects of there life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    What's the point of an in between? Youre either dependant on alcohol or you're not, amount isn't strictly relevant

An Inbetween for people to get the right support before becoming dependent on it. What's dependent mean through, it could mean anything to some and different to others

• Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    The problem is, along with most addictions, you don't know you are becoming dependant, even once people do develop addictions many are still in denial and don't seek help because they don't think they need it.. I find it strange that people could get to a point of 'inbetween', I've had a few addictions and not once have i realised i was dependant before I was actually dependant on them. And dependant means you feel you need it to get through the day/week/problem. That's my understanding of it anyway
    BlondieLiz wrote: »
    It's not about being drunk, jobless and all. I read the question of is there a functioning alcoholic? The definition of alcoholic implies that you have to be unable to hold down a job to come in the category.

Eh?

You can function with any addiction, your ability to function doesn't stop you being an addict. Being able to get up and go to work, even though all you want is your next bottle of wine, is still alcoholism.

There sometimes comes a point when you drink so much/gamble so much/take so many drugs that you can't function, but not always.

You can't be "in between" an addiction and not, you're either addicted or you're not. But not every addict has to be on a street corner swigging meths.
    Reading specified literature and research some state the criteria being 'non functioning' to be an addiction.

But I agree with you arctic that there can be a functioning addiction.

I think it can still be addiction even if you only drink or do drugs that it doesn't matter how much you take it's why and the impacts of it.