Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

self harm

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmmmm... what's your age ellie?
    what's your age? from how many years you are doing this? this self harm doesn't put your life in danger?
    im 19, ive been self harming for now 4 years, there has been times ive had to have stitches but it doesnt stop me...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    so usually you bandage your wounds yourself?
    no I usually leave it but sometimes its deeper and I need medical attention..

when i cut my arms once... i didn't know what to do with my cuts... i went to my mother and she scold me and bandaged that... e she didn't know that i did that intentionally... i said to her that i was an accident..
    ah right okaii. how did it feel when u done it that once?

i usually just imagine cutting my self when i feel distress... it makes me feel better... or i imagine hurting the people which causes stress in me... i think its less harmful than to harm myself in real...
    yeah I see ur point there I use to do that but then I thought that I needed to punish myself so thats why I started self harming....

it was painful but it also felt calm... i don't know how but i was not feeling angry after doing that....
    you are a girl. right?
    yeah I am a girl

I am 19 years old. Yes my self injuring has and is putting my life in danger. This is why I am currently on a psychiatric ward..

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    so u r getting treatment.... is it really helping u or not?
    mona wrote: »
    so u r getting treatment.... is it really helping u or not?

It's mainly keeping me safe. Treatment doesn't really happening.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    @Ellie and @MrsMcelderry after talking to both of u and to know your reason of starting self harm.... i feel sad when i think that there are some people who have no hearts... they don't realize that their stupid jokes and fun can hurt someone so deeply :(
    how family react to the act of self harm by a member of the family specially parents?
    My family never understood, which was one of the reasons I moved away, so I could do it and they wouldn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    mona wrote: »
    how family react to the act of self harm by a member of the family specially parents?

Different families react in different ways, but taking the first step to telling a parent, or getting someone to tell a parent is amazing, an can also be a step to recovery (If that's what you wanted) - But for most young people (Under 18) Parents are told for the safety of the young person/adult. Whereas Adult (18+) can confide in Doctors etc.

But like I was saying, all parents react differently, lodes express anger at a person, as useless as being angry is, the anger naturally comes from being worried. I know my parents were told via CAMHS, but CAMHS was able to get an additional person to talk to them and explain why I was engaging in those behaviours, and just simply saying 'Keep an eye on her' kinda thing. They made me feel guilty, ashamed for the first few months, and at times still do.

But having them know, I know is an amazing step. Look after yourself, Mona.

Best wishes,
    Angel
    so what parents do when they are informed about this? i think if i do this then my parents will be very angry and this thing would be more disturbing.... they will think and say that i m just a tension for them but nothing else.... do u think that telling your parents has helped you to recover?
    What is CAMHS?
    It's the child and adolescent mental health services in the UK (or maybe just England, I'm not sure). Kids and teenagers normally get referred to them by a doctor, or a school teacher for all sorts of reasons to do with behaviour problems, family problems, and mental health problems.

Where are you living at the moment? Is it in the UK?
    I'm 14 and I used to self harm for about 2-3 years. At first I didn't realise what I was doing. I'd be in class and be scratching my hand with a ruler but it didn't feel bad. When family life got a lot worse and I was bullied really badly I started to self harm properly. For ages only my best friend knew, till I was at my aunts and had a breakdown. I called my other friend and couldn't talk. It was so bad that I locked myself in my aunts room and cut myself with a phone charger. I sent my friend a picture because I couldn't tell her. She rang me straight back and she was kinda mad but she asked me all this questions. This made me cross because all I need was someone to tell me it was okay and help me get through it.
    I would cut everyday usually. Then I found out different ways which gave a better result, like punching brick walls and rubbing my knuckles against a felt board.
    I'd have to wear long sleeves all the time because my mum didn't know. After a while, everyone at school just kinda guessed because I became so depressed, would only talk to my 3 friends in tutor and never rolled up my jumper, even when it was 25+ degrees. The 2 boys helped me to stop.
    Once they had left my school half way through last school year(unexpectedly)I started again but it got worse. I would blame myself for everything. Not sleep. Not eat. Stop going out. I lacked in these things before but it then got serious.
    Then later last year I saw one of the boys who had left my school. He didn't even give me the time of day. So when I got home I texted the other boy. I was about to cut again until I got a reply. I just said 'don't give him the time of day, I'm here for you'. That's when I told him about how I'd started again and how I was about to do it then.
    I now have stopped for about 5 months. My mum knows. She didn't get mad as such, she was worried. Sometimes I want to do it again but I have to stop myself.
    I think that I have had mental health issues ever since my dad went to prison when I was 10 but my mum doesn't really get it when I drop hints. Maybe she's in denial, I don't know.
    I hope this helps in anyway. I tried to cover all the questions you asked the others.