Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

alcohol.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if this is in the right place.

I feel like I've become reliant on alcohol. I don't always drink enough to get me drunk, sometimes I just drink to feel a little giddy, to try and forget about my shitty little life.

I don't even know why I'm posting this. I don't want to drink too much, but sometimes I want to forget, sometimes I want to damage myself.

Uh, sorry. Another moany thread from me.

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Self medicating with alcohol is really something to try and avoid. I have a friend who does this to combat his social anxiety and alcohol had become his crutch.
    Using alcohol like this can be very damaging. I recommend speaking to a doctor about this.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can't. Should have made that clear.
    Last night I got a little tipsy, I managed to stop myself from drinking more so I didn't get too drunk.

Will I always be able to stop?

Today I'm already thinking about what drink I could have later.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Butterfly

Really well done stopping yourself last night. If you could do it then, you can do it again.

Make sure you take some time to feel good about yourself when you do things well.

If you don't feel like you can speak to a doctor about it, make sure you're speaking to someone and keeping things open.

Have you seen the site Drink Aware? It has some useful stuff around cutting down drinking.

Danny
    i too used to have a drink problem, which worsened after my wife left me for the next door neighbour ( i have since e married) however while in the pub one night downing my umteenth pint, i suddenlly decided that enough was enough. i did not even finish the pint i was drinking, i have not touched alcohol since . that was in 1989. Not everyone has the wil power to do the same, but now i see how much damage alcohol does, not only to one self but to others. so maybe you need to look at how your drinking affects those around you, put yourself in their shoes. see what they see sorry for going on
    Thanks guys.

Danny, thanks for the website, will have a good look tonight when I turn my computer on.

I don't think I have a drinking problem, I just think I'm too reliant on it now, and I'm getting worse.

I haven't cut myself bad since I started relying on alcohol to make me feel a little happier..

Does alcohol make you put weight on? I never even thought of that. I want to drink, I like the feeling it gives me.. I don't want to put weight on..

I'm worried now, because I'm not sure if it's going to be easy.
    my son is bi polar he used to self harm and self medicate with alcohol, and yes it does make u put on weight, lots of it ita all sugar
    This has just made everything worse.

So basically my choice is to put weight on, which I have been specifically trying to get rid of for ages, or stop drinking, which I don't want to do!
    you dont have to stop drinking, just know when to stop. there is no easy solution i am afraid. substitute the alcohol with something else
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Sorry Butterfly, there are calories in alcohol as well as the sugars they often come with (which you can avoid with diet mixers, low calorie beers etc), so the only way around that is to drink less alcohol (more info here).

That doesn't mean drinking moderately will make you fat though, as with food, everything in moderation!
This discussion has been closed.