Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Love at first sight?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I woke up today to a post on Facebook by a friend saying how 3 years ago today he saw the love of his life across a room. He was too shy to talk to her but she was thinking the same thing and now they have a baby.

This post has given a little bit of hope in me that this kind of thing does happen but also just a bit depressed that it hasn't yet. Anyway think that this is actually possible to happen?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well if you break it up into smaller pieces it becomes quite believable. A attractive person sees an attractive person and likes what they see. The feeling is mutual. At least one of them is not too much of a chicken to approach the other and they are both not horrible human beings, but with a balanced and content life and get along fine. The relationship is fulfilling so no major arguments and no miscommunication means no lying, no cheating no problems. They later call it love at first sight.

Should you wait for an attractive person to approach you and hope everything works out fine? Are you checking all the boxes so you can be the love at first sight? Are you attractive? Do you frequently get into situations where you meet new and exciting people? Are you content with your life or will you bring insecurities into the possible relationship that might create tension?

I found if you think about more thoroughly about the cliché "love comes to the one not looking for it." it becomes truer. This does not mean you should be at home as miserable as before but convince yourself you are not looking for a relationship, it means that you should invest your time into becoming a better and happier person. I will quote an internet person now who said it better than I could. It was directed towards a young man, but is true regardless of gender me thinks:
    Here's the non-smartass, non deceitful, non-douchbag answer:
    Go enjoy life. Go ride bikes in national parks, take karate, learn a new language in a class, organize something, volunteer, go out to new places to eat and have a couple drinks, listen to what people have to say and nurture friendships with them. Develop yourself, get smart about even one topic because you're fascinated by it. Have some income and a clean place of your own, and good hygiene.
    And here's the secret to lifelong happiness: do all this for yourself, and only yourself. Enjoy the fuck out of being alive and people will notice. Women will see you and be attracted to you, and you'll have confidence to talk to them because you're cool no matter what happens. If you go out in the world and enjoy it, you will attract people.
    Pretty much what Strubbles said.

I'm in a very happy relationship - there's been a spark since we first met, so assuming it keeps working you could look back and call it love at first sight. In reality, it's two people who clicked together really well, and eventually got to the point where built on that.
    I think it's more 'mutual attraction at first sight' rather than love at first sight.
    I'm fairly sure my girlfriend didn't fall for me at first sight, as fabulous as I am. I don't think it's necessarily something to strive for or to expect - it's a bit Disney, if you ask me.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I don't think it's necessarily something to strive for or to expect

Sometimes there can be a lot of emphasis put on the romance of how a relationship starts, when actually what is potentially more relevant is 'how do you maintain that relationship once you've established the spark in the first place'. I'm pretty sure that being love struck the first time you meet isn't the key to that.

Lexi, do you know much about the couple you've referenced? I reckon it would be helpful for you to get under the surface of other people's relationships a bit - it can be really insightful and helpful in terms of fantasy avoidance.
    Love at first site

actually i think now i am in love.but i am not sure..please tell me about ""love at first site"":heart::heart:
    I just think that not everyone is lucky enough to experience it. Love at first sight may be a hopelessly romantic idea, but I know plenty of pessimists that have changed their minds completely because of love(:
    i lost my love..i want to get back my love...i am waiting..
    I think it's possible, but then we don't know everything about the human brain.