Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why is post editing so shit all of a sudden?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
Maybe it's not the thing to do, but I usually just diarrhea a post as it comes out of my brain and often later want to alter and refine it. Suddenly you cannot edit after 5 minutes anymore and just now I could not edit my post at all (within 5 minutes). It just loaded and then showed the original post (sans edit) without any warning. The edits were just gone as if I pressed cancel instead.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    right now it worked. I added the "(within 5 minutes)".
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    They assumed it was already in place, (According to Jo) and users like me, were being rebellious and re-edited edits that moderators made. They apparently looked in to the editing history of everyone, and decided to put it in place. Jo sent me the following when I bought it up in a PM with her however...

I have reasonable grounds though, a mod didn't contact me as to why it was being deleted, nor did it have an edit reason, and I felt the edit was uncalled for :)
    This setting always used to be in place but since the recent changes on the boards to the look and feel this setting was missed. This has come to our attention and we've now changed the setting back. With any new post you have 5 minutes after it is submitted to make changes.

Moderators need to be able to edit posts sometimes. For example if a post doesn't fit within our registration rules or our guidelines around posting about self harm for instance - I know this was something that James let you know about this week.

We make edits to make sure that the community remains a safe and supportive environment for everyone.

This can't work effectively if members are able to re-edit after we make changes. If we do have to edit a post we will always PM the person to explain why we've done so.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Maybe it's not the thing to do, but I usually just diarrhea a post as it comes out of my brain and often later want to alter and refine it.

I usually use preview for that - helps to rephrase things if I've as you said, just projectiled a post.

Having said this, if it's genuinely a massive problem then I'll chat to Jo about it when we're all back in the office :)
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    I usually use preview for that - helps to rephrase things if I've as you said, just projectiled a post.

Having said this, if it's genuinely a massive problem then I'll chat to Jo about it when we're all back in the office :)

It's not a preview problem. I could re-read my post without posting/previewing too. But sometimes I have the idea to say something in a better or clearer way a bit later. Maybe there is a way to lock a post from editing when a mod edited it last?
  • Options
    I've been discussing this across another forum lately.

I agree a time restraint needs to be made on editing posts (like the one already made) but 5 minutes is a bit harsh, especially those in a busy situation who might not re-read or think to add something straight away.

My suggestion would be to make it a little longer, perhaps either 20-30minutes OR even change it so that it is editable until someone replies.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Both good points guys - looking into it now... and moving this thread over to 'problems & suggestions' :)