Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

House warming tips?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if this is in the right category..

So, my flat gets cold pretty quick! I've recently got carpet in my living room so it's warmer than what it is, but I'm saving up for carpet for my bedroom.

Any tips to keep my flat warm? It's costing so much having the heater/electric heater on just to warm it up.

At night I have numerous amounts of hot water bottles scattered over my bed so I keep warm at night - just need a few tips about keeping warmer in the day?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My sisters house is freezing, but got a little warmer because they stuck something around the window frame. I will ask her what it's called. Not sure if that will be helpful for you though. Do you know why it's so cold?
    I really don't. I out the heater on for a while but as soon as I turn it off it's freezing again!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have so far three jumpers on a onesie, numerous amounts of socks and a hot water bottle and still freezing!

That's not good at all! Have you told your landlord?
    Nope - not sure they'd be able to do anything?!
    Hmm, I reckon telling him is worth a try. My sister and her boyfriend moan all of the time at their landlord haha. You never know, he could do something for free, for example, the stuff around the window frame?

Would s/he not add carpet for you?
    Nah, it's a council house so I've had to save up and buy carpet myself. :/ it sucks cos they rip all the carpet out that was there previously, so I've had to do it step by step and being on ESA it takes forever to save up x

I think the stuff around the window frame might be insultation, butterfly?
    I think I've got double glazing, but I'm thinking it's my back door as a draft comes through that, so may get one of those door dog things x

Good plan :)
    Hey,
    I know that windows and the doors are the worst for letting out the heat. All good ideas so far for insulating around windows and doors.
    But I noticed that you said you don't have carpet. There are sites like freecycle and gumtree where you could find free or cheap carpet or anything else you need.
    Hope you are able to be warmer soon!
    :)
    I should have carpet in my bedroom by March and then all rooms have some type of flooring.

Just have to snuggle and keep warm one way x

We had a moisture absorber in one house and the temperature went up by nearly two degrees (you can make one by putting cat litter on a windowsill in a bowl, change it regularly).
    Hey Sophie,

I read a little while a back about a way to heat a room using just tea lights, flowerpots and a tin:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2492549/Video-reveals-heat-home-using-just-TEALIGHTS-FLOWERPOTS--costs-just-8p-day.html

Excuse the link to the Daily Mail, just the first place I found it with a quick google.

Can't vouch as to whether it definitively works, but seems an interesting/very cheap way to generate some heat!

Will.
    Oooo, I might give this a try, I have a lot of tea lights at home, might try the cat litter bit in bedroom!

Thanks guys!

Let us know if it genuinely works - I'm very intrigued!!!
    I definitely will do!:)

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    The BBC also have a great article on keeping your house warm during winter, (Low tech) which might be a good idea to check out to Sophie, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24757144!
    Thank you! I'll check this out now, have a scarf blocking the draft by my door atm haha!
    I used to use lots of dirty laundry next to the door to block out drafts, and I pinned a blanket over the door which helped a lot.
    Thanks Grace! Going to figure out different ways to keep house warm, or just use lodes of different ways so it's nice and snug!