Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Living in Birmingham

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does anyone here life or travel much to Birmingham?

I visited recently and liked what I saw, thinking about moving there or perhaps starting some kind of business there.

I'd like to here what people think of the place, pros and cons.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Birmingham is great, people are kind, a lot of places to spend you free time, if you are interested in lets say obtaining higher education they have good system and school, same goes with welfare. Also it is cheaper than London.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Do you mean any particular area?
    I lived right in the centre for a year, now I'm in the suburbs (probably/hopefully not for long). While I can't say it's a bad place there's nothing to make it rise above other non-bad cities in my mind. Mostly, I'm just indifferent.
    Are there any particular reasons Indrid why you feel you do not fit in or any bad experiences there. Through work I send hundreds people to study there and they like it a lot, but that may also be because they are young and like everything.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    No bad experiences personally, like I said I don't dislike the place. It simply doesn't stand out in any way.
    Do you mean any particular area?
    I lived right in the centre for a year, now I'm in the suburbs (probably/hopefully not for long). While I can't say it's a bad place there's nothing to make it rise above other non-bad cities in my mind. Mostly, I'm just indifferent.

Well I only went up there for the weekend. So really only saw the City Centre, the areas by the Mailbox and the Selly area where there was lots of Students. But what I saw was quite nice.

I'm sick to death of living in London. I live on the outer zones of London and there's nothing to do in my town. The local council keep knocking down things and building flats. We used to have a bowling alley and they got knocked down to make flats, etc. I hate having to go into central London to do anything and then having to watch the clock to rush home before the last train stops running at midnight.

If I miss the last train in London then it's 2 hours door to door on the night bus and if it's winter time I'll usually end up sick from breathing in so much cold air waiting in the cold for the buses.

There's no such thing as having a local friend whom you can just drop by and see, everyone lives in different parts of London and sometimes you have to plan weeks or even months in advance when you'll all see each other.
    For example a bunch of my friends are gathering in my part of London this weekend, the entire thing had to be planned out two months in advance with people coming from the other side of London needing to book hotels, etc.

Birmingham seems to have so many things to do and places to go in a small area, loads of shops, clubs, bars, pubs.
    When you walk through the student areas in the evening there are lots of people just hanging out and chatting on the street.

It also seems to be multicultural like London but not too overwhelmingly so in any one particular direction.

I love the way it's possible for local businesses that give a good service to compete with the huge multinationals - for instance I ate at one huge fried chicken place in town that easily gave the local KFC a run for it's money
    And I like the idea of starting a business where if I work hard, and do a good job and provide good service then I can build up a good reputation in the city for doing good work. In London that would be almost impossible due to it's vast population and size.

To me the simple things in life are important, being able to have some good friends that you're able to see easily would be nice, in London seeing friends is a huge task and usually begins with a visit to the London Transport website to see if the tube lines are even running.

I like the idea that I could go out on a night in the town centre and it wouldn't cost me a complete fortune to get home.
    I write some topics on British culture and what I heard from the internet, Birmingham is a great place for living and had more enjoyable things. I can say their you can do great business with others as it is good city.