Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Awful day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Awful day.

My dad is in hospital. He's not very well.

Also. I was so pleased to get a place for this therapy group, but my university may not support the time off that I'd need to attend.

Bit of a wreck.

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Awful day.

My dad is in hospital. He's not very well.

Also. I was so pleased to get a place for this therapy group, but my university may not support the time off that I'd need to attend.

Bit of a wreck.

Hello YellowSeaHorse,

I'm sorry to hear your dad's in hospital, but I'm glad he's getting the treatment he deserves and needs. It can be daunting when a parents in hospital, are you visiting him on a regular basis? It's great to hear you've got a place in a therapy group, what form of therapy are you doing? :) - I'm guessing it will be 2 hours on a weekly basis, would you be able to make alternative arrangement with your University explore your options, maybe it's worth talking to your form tutor about it?

By the way, I love the Christmassy avatar, very sexy snowman ;)

Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey a,

Sounds like a pretty crappy day and probably bites more in the run up to Christmas. Big hugs - you'll manage it just fine. Remember with your dad, its your dad in hospital, and on this one you are a patients daughter so go easy on yourself. Xx
    I visited today, and will go again tomorrow.

I've already talked to someone at uni, and they said that whilst they want to support me, missing half a day (it involves travelling) every week for a few months would almost definitely be too much of the course missed. She mentioned making up the time but I have no idea how I'd do that when I'm struggling to keep up already. Also suggested I asked the guy whether I could go every 2 weeks or something, but I don't see how that would work in a group setting.

I'm just so disheartened. I've waited so long for this, and naively I thought the university would be like 'that's great, take the time off', but no.
    YSH- Could you get a doctors note about the therapy sessions? If you feel it will help your mental health then it will definitely have a positive impact on university, get as much medical info as you can from your support workers to give to uni to support your point.

Are you able to visit your Dad in hospital? It's horrible having loved ones ill over this time of year. Big hugs to you :heart:
    Visited him today - he'll be in over Christmas :(

Uni know how important this therapy is for me - they just are saying that without enough placement time I can't pass this year. :/
    Can you take a year out or just take the fail grade this year for the sake of your health?
    piccolo wrote: »
    Can you take a year out or just take the fail grade this year for the sake of your health?

This may be one of the best options for you if you have no other recourse, Why obviously not ideal to fail/take a year out in comparison to getting better and well enough it is clear which is priority.
    I really need the structure in my day though. I'm kept really busy and doing things I enjoy. If it was any other year I'd take the fail, but this year it would have serious repercussions RE jobs :(
    Are there any other possibilities with regards to the group therapy you're looking for? ie a similar group based in the evenings, or maybe even doing an extra hour each day to cover the half day you missed? Obviously not ideal but a work around.

The main thing is to not get overburdened with Uni work and start struggling to attend your lectures and not miss the appointments as this will only stress you out further an exacerbate the situation.