Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What to do with 18th birthday present?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just before my 18th birthday, I showed the slightest interest in learning how to play the double bass. With that my parents travelled from Essex to Devon/Cornwall area, stayed overnight, and brought one home for me.

Nearly 6 years later (holy fuck 6 years!!) it's sitting in the corner of my room in its case, broken from where radiator heat has split the base. Now I don't know what to do with it. I don't want to hurt their feelings since it took a lot to get it, but I really am never gonna do anything with it. I was thinking spending the money I get on them, if I get any, but any ideas??

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    hmmm, it's a tricky one.

Have your parents ever expressed any feeling about it?

I think you probably could get something for it - we bought a damaged cello for my friend this birthday and then got it restored for her (was cheaper to do that then buy a brand new one and overall it was a good quality instrument) if you take it into a repair shop they'll probably be able to give you a sense of how much you might get... perhaps take some pics to save you carrying it in?

If not then freecycle is always an option - obviously that means not getting anything for it for your parents, but it does mean someone still has the opportunity to benefit from it.

Overall though I'd say having an open and honest chat with the folks is worth considering.
  • Options
    If it's a good quality double bass then you're best marketing at the jazz community, I'm sure there are websites etc you can put it on. Will speak to my grandad tomorrow, he knows more about this kind of thing than I do (he's a jazz musician) and also has several friends who play double bass so if you give me details I can ask if anyone's interested :)
  • Options
    Its not really about the money tbh. They have mentioned it before and act all annoyed that I havent done anything with it but then say honestly it doesnt matter so i dont think they'll mind much
  • Options
    You could turn it into a cool piece of art? If you intend to keep it :)