Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The way I'm feeling..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what your opinions are on this.

A while ago, maybe a bit over a year ago? My ex made me go to the Doctors to try and get something that could help me with my OCD. For some reason the Doctor prescribed me Anti-Depressants. My ex payed for them for me because I wouldn't get them, but I refused to take them because Anti-Depressants are for people who feel depressed, not for people with OCD.

Anyway, since leaving my ex, my OCD is still bad but not as bad as it was when me and my ex were together. Which is good, right? But now I feel sad most of the time. I have urges a lot. I forget simple things a lot. I get very angry a lot and just flip at anyone so I feel like a horrible person. If my nephew cries I get really upset and sometimes start crying myself, but then I realise I'm crying over how crappy I feel in general. Any little thing just annoys me, like if I can't do something really simple I just want to hurt myself by punching the wall or hitting my head against it.

I'm not depressed am I? I don't think I am. I don't like the idea of Anti-Depressants. Am I just still trying to get over my break up, all of the hurt and anger from that? All of the lies he has spread? If I decided to go to the doctors what do you think they would say?

Comments

• Options
    Certain anti depressants are used in the treatment of OCD. I would recommend going to the doctors, you can be offered medication, therapy and other treatments that might help you :)
  • Options
    Thanks B-A :) I'm not rejecting your advice, I appreciate it.

I'm not sure if I want to go to the doctors.. I feel like they're instantly just going to put me on Anti-Depressants and I don't think I'm depressed. I know I'll never know unless I try but it's like.. Ahh.

I'm sorry, maybe this thread was a waste of time.. sorry guys, never mind.
  • Options
    Anti-depressants are not just used for treating depression, just like paracetamol isn't just for a headache. Some can be used in the treatment on OCD, anorexia, mood disorder, anxiety etc. I'm on a few different medications, one of them is an anti-depressant but for me it's more used in the treatment of my mood swings (from manic to depressed very quickly). It's stabilizes me out so I'm not all over the place!
    If you're really against the thought of medication your GP can offer other help, such as referring you to the mental health team which would mean you could get treatment such as therapy.
    If you decide not to go to the GP then your options do become a bit limited, but there are counselling sessions you can pay for privately (although it can become quite expensive).
    What do you find the hardest thing to deal with? Maybe we can help you address that as a starting step :)
  • Options
    As an addition to what B-A has said - I'm on an anti psychotic to help me sleep. I've been on an anti depressant previously for the same reason.
  • Options
    I feel sad most of the time. I have urges a lot. I forget simple things a lot. I get very angry a lot and just flip at anyone so I feel like a horrible person. If my nephew cries I get really upset and sometimes start crying myself, but then I realise I'm crying over how crappy I feel in general. Any little thing just annoys me, like if I can't do something really simple I just want to hurt myself by punching the wall or hitting my head against it.

Quite a few of the things you mention here could be seen as symptoms of depression, that's not to say you are definitely depressed but it certainly sounds like you could do with some support to work through some of these feelings. Do you know how long you've been feeling this way?

TheSite's article on understanding depression could be a good one for you to read:http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/depression-mental-health/understanding-depression-5647.html

One of the things it mentions is why you might feel depressed:
    Depression can be caused by factors like bereavement, events in childhood, stress and relationship difficulties, or internal problems linked to hormone imbalance, changes in brain chemistry or blood sugar levels. Recreational drug use and binge drinking are also common triggers.

As you can see there are all sorts of reasons and depression is different for everyone :chin:

You mentioned not being sure what would happen if you went to the GP, this article explores what it's like to go to the GP about a mental health issue: http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/mental-health-treatments/going-to-see-your-gp-about-a-mental-health-problem-6835.html

*hug*
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

Broken-Angel, I find the anger hard at the moment. The fact I can't do simple things makes me really angry, then I just want to bash my head on a wall, then I just start feeling desperately sad. The crying too, sometimes I get this overwhelming urge to cry and I try to hold it in but it's so hard. Sometimes I don't even know why I'm crying.

Jojo, I'm not sure how long I've been feeling this way. when I was with my ex I knew, if I wanted to cry, why I wanted to cry. When I broke up with my ex I cried all of the time because I didn't like the fact it was over and I missed the good bits of him, and the kids, and the dog. Now though, it's not like that anymore. Sometimes I get upset over my ex or the kids, but most of the time I don't know exactly why I'm crying. Just because I feel crappy I guess..

The articles were useful.

From the depression one these are all true for me:
    Persistent sadness, lasting two weeks or more. Loss of interest in your favourite things. Loss of self-confidence. Feeling guilty, bad, unlikeable, or not good enough. Feeling useless or unable to cope with life. Increased feelings of anxiety. Wanting to go to sleep and never wake up again. Feeling more irritable, frustrated, or aggressive than usual. Trouble concentrating on things, poor memory. Some from the 'other signs' too.

The going to the GP article is useful too because, if I do decide to go, at least I have some ideas on how to go about it and what I would need to ask.