Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Manipulation but by who?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok -to cut a very long story short, my mum and my best mate don't get on at all. My mum looks after my paperwork because my short term memory isn't great, and trying to sort out wages and stuff for my personal assistants is not easy at the best of times. But my mum is accusing my best friend of manipulating me. She feels he only wants me around to help his company and that he wants to get his hands into my pocket.

I understand why she's worried, I've had people do this to me before, but she's saying he's saying and doing things (even whilst I'm present) that I have no recollection of.

I've tried to get them to be nice to each other but they will not play nice. Both of them throw insults at each other and I can't bare being around them together. So I'm not being told to choose but they are making my life so sodding difficult!

What do I do???

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What's your mum's reasoning around thinking he wants to "get his hand in your pocket"? Do you think she's being rational? Also, is it like you to forget things that have happened when you've been there? Just asking so I can get a deeper understanding of the situation!
    Tbh, I hardly have much for someone to take, but that hasn't stopped people before and I don't always remember everything but I don't normally totally forget entire conversations! :/

She said a few other things today which made me wonder if she's losing it, but at the same time my friend does occasionally say things which people may think implausable (he was married at 18 for 5 months before she died of a brain tumour, he died twice in a car crash, he's travelled all over the world, worked in sales and hospitality, plus loads of other stuff) but he's 35 and has no kids and hasn't settled down.

So I still dont know whats going on!
    Hmm it's a tricky situation. I think all you can do is keep them apart as best you can, but make sure you keep an eye on your money etc and make it clear to your friend that you wont be giving it out. Could you mention to your friend about the "forgotten" conversations? For example say "oh I think I remember talking about this..." and see how they react?
    I have and he doesn't remember anything like that even being mentioned.