Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Financially Struggling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

So I've came to the realisation that I can't live off £56.80 a week. I top up gas and electric 10£ a week (so that's 20£) I have to pay Council Tax weekly (7£) Water bill (12.96£) which leaves me with like £10.04 which gets spent on my kittens.

I'm 'unfit' to work, so can't even get myself a job. It's affecting my mental health really badly, and I don't know what to do, how to hope, or where I'm going...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you hunted around to see if you can get cheaper water and electric? You may also get discounts, etc. for being on benefits due to being unfit for work.
    Probably a silly question and you may have already looked into this.. but have you tried to find out if you're entitled to any more benefits?

What benefit do you get now if you don't mind me asking? Do you live alone? I'm not fully aware of your situation but my ex used to get quite a few benefits so I know a little bit about what you may be entitled to.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    ^ There's a really useful benefits calculator on the Turn to Us site that you could use for that too :)
    I'm on JSA. But should be changing to ESA tomorrow. That's all I get...
    Yeah, I live alone, have done for a year and a half.
    Your gas and electricity seems extremely expensive. I know areas are different, blah blah blah, but in our house of 3/4 bedrooms we're not even paying £80 a month! (Although it might go up to around £90 now it's colder I guess)
    Top up electric is always more expensive. It's robbery IMO.
    the 10£ on electric normally lasts me just over a week, but i always put 10 on just in case i don't go out etc
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Top up electric is always more expensive. It's robbery IMO.

Agreed. We saved a lot of money when we changed to paying direct debits monthly.

You may, depending on your situation, be entitled to Personal Independent Payment (PIP)
    Can you not get DLA as well?

(ETA, sorry, Melian's right, PIP)
    No idea. They're paying me 1 weeks benefit, making me apply for ESA and I don't know much from that..
    PIP can be paid on top of ESA. But you may (I don't know your situation) not meet the time criteria - have the needs for 3 months and expect them to last for another 9 months.
    I'll ask about it and see, I don't think this is gonna pass anytime soon..
    I'd sign up to loads of competitions during the day and then you are bound to get something back!
    What about things like phone bill? Can you make cut backs there?
    you say you're "unfit" to work, in quotes, as if that's what you've been told, but not necessarily what you believe.
    Even the shittiest job pays more than £60 a week.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    you say you're "unfit" to work, in quotes, as if that's what you've been told, but not necessarily what you believe.
    Even the shittiest job pays more than £60 a week.

With all due respect, I think someone who others consider unfit to work is unlikely to reap anything other than financial benefit from the shittiest of jobs. And in worst case, it might well make things a lot worse.

Also if you've read any of Sophie's other recent threads you'll be able to understand why her going to work might not be a great idea.
    My phone is on a contract, cos I could actually afford it if I didn't have other shitty things, like home insurance which I don't actually need but can't cancel cos they won't do it in the actual place. And I'm paying off debt, so my phone bill was fine until them two things came over. It's mainly at the end of the month, every bill comes out. Internet, phone bill, home insurance, debt, which basically takes the two weeks pay...
    Also, my friend is looking at getting something for water bill, can't remember what it's called, cos in all honesty, water comes from the fucking sky.
    How far are you into these contracts for mobile, etc? You might be able to negotiate a lower price.
    Erm, 5 months I think..
    Thee might be some help from the council for council tax, etc.
    You need to get a firmer grip over where you are and what you're entitled to. There's a lot of "think" and "don't know" in your answers here and, well, this is YOUR life. You need to know these things, and, if you don't know, you need to be making an effort to find out.

I also question the "unfit" for work bit. Why did you put "unfit" in quotes? Have you been specifically told you can't go and work? If so, by who? If it's a work person who has said this, then how far does it extend? What jobs are you unfit for?
    Just thought I'd mention the Money Advice Service - these guys are friends of ours and their site has loads of stuff on budgeting and there's an online chat for money advice too :) although I've not tested it out so if you do try it let us know how you get on!

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en

Budgeting stuff: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/categories/budgeting-and-taking-control

:thumb:
    Mist wrote: »

I also question the "unfit" for work bit. Why did you put "unfit" in quotes? Have you been specifically told you can't go and work? If so, by who? If it's a work person who has said this, then how far does it extend? What jobs are you unfit for?

I assume you haven't see her recent thread in Health then, about hearing voices?
    How does your decision to go in patient affect all this Sophie?
    My doctor put me as unfit for work if your like to know to your rather cocky reply.

Not sure fiend. Have a doctors appointment in a bit and she'll be phoning people to get me a bed. Really terrified if I'm honest...
    Hi,

I hope you get things sorted out soon money wise. It's hard when you first start out as the benefits system is really complicated. It's worth asking if your mental health team have their own benefits advisor, mine did and she was great. If you go inpatient some of your benefits can change after 28 days if I recall but so would your expenses obviously, but again there are really good benefits advisors in hospitals that can help you get all that you are entitled to.

As for the attitiutes of some members on here, I came up against the same thing when I was asking similar questions when I first got found 'unfit' for work in 2006. I hope they haven't upset you too much, as I know this is a sensitive issue.

*hugs*

Randomgirl xx
    Mind should have some information on being an inpatient and benefits. Did look on gov.uk but couldn't find anything.

You could also ask on consumeractiongroup.org.uk
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    As for the attitiutes of some members on here, I came up against the same thing when I was asking similar questions when I first got found 'unfit' for work in 2006. I hope they haven't upset you too much, as I know this is a sensitive issue.

Jesus Christ. It was a legitimate question. One, to which, I've not actually had a proper answer, just a load of grief. It could have a been a company doc saying she was unfit for a particular job, it could have been many things. No, Melian, to answer your question, I haven't read the thread about hearing voices. But hey. Don't mind me, I was sounding out for possibilities, but I guess you guys and girls would rather take some obscure moral high ground than actually have people help out. Good luck to you all.
    Sorry, Mist, but given I mentioned her other threads to Whowhere, I think Melian was within reason to ask.

I think it's very unsafe to suggest that someone who is having the mental health issues that Sophie currently is should go against advice and try and get a job.