Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Audio books, any you guys recommend?

*BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey dudes.

I was in chat last night discussing that I have problems with sleeping sometimes, and audio books were recommended. I personally can't sit and read a book cos I have really bad concentration and can't focus on things for a long time, so this is why audio books was recommended as well, and some of the people in chat were saying it's great to listen to a book and it helps to relax.

So the point of this thread is, just to see if any you guys have any recommendations that I could try. And also the best way to listen to it, a few guys mentioned through iPods, I would personally like to have it on my phone if possible, not my iPod.

Thanks guys :thumb:
" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
" So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
'' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey :) I love audiobooks and use them too for my concentration as I struggle with reading now. What phone do you have? You might be able to get an audible app. I'm not sure on that but worth a look I guess.

What type of books do you like?

I said this yesterday but when trying to get to sleep I listen more to books I have read lots before so I know the story as then I find I listen to it but don't focus too much that I can't fall asleep. If I'm reading a new book and really into it I find that I want to listen and then can't fall asleep if that makes sense. Some of the books I use for falling asleep and normally kids or teens books as I find they require less concentration. I have harry potter, Matilda, Charlie and the chocolate factory and quite a few Enid blyton books.
    I am an audiobook addict - my mum and I have a download library of over 150 titles! - but I wouldn't recommend them for sleep.

I use audible.co.uk, on a credit basis so you pay far below the odds for the books (and it's on EasyFundraising, double-win).

For both performance and story here are my faves (in no particular order):

Fiction:
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
    Rivers of London (and the others in the series) by Ben Aaronovich
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
    N0S4R2 by Joe Hill
    The Passage and The Twelve by Justin Cronin

Memoir / biography:
    Moab is my Washpot & The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry
    Pastrix by Nadia Bolz-Weber
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Life by Rebecca Skloot

Drama (or dramatised recordings):
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials) by Philip Pullman
    Swordspoint and its sequels by Ellen Kushner

If you are going to try to sleep with these, look carefully at the subject matter because some of them are really scary and some deal with difficult themes. Also, listen to a preview, because a bad narrator can blow a really good book.

Of the ones I enjoy that are not on Audible, my favourites are Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter (very expensive though) and Alan Bennet reading Winnie-the-Pooh.

That's a bit of an epic list, sorry.

Have fun!
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I have a samsung galaxy s3 mini so android.

Thanks for the suggestions dudes means alot :-)
    I am at work so will reply properly when home.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    I second a fault in our stars
    I have a fault in our stars on audiobook at the moment but don't think I am emotionally in the right place to read it which is a shame as I was really looking forward to it. I'm reading a lot of Dan Brown books at the moment (well listening to) as well as the third hunger games books!