Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hopeless Romantic or Realist

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think two kind of people in world, one who believe in miracle, faith, magic and are hopeless romantic and then there are realist, practical thinkers. What kind you think you are and why?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I start with me. I always believed and will believe that if you have faith and your love is true then you find the one who is for you. So, hopeless romantic. :)
    I'm a romantic, cause i believe that you can find 'the one' and live happily ever after :D
    Regarding life in general I'm a Realist (although I'm idealistic I know that compromise is necessary to get things done).

Regarding relationships, I was a Hopeless Romantic. I thought that some day I'd find the 'one' and sure enough I did. Knowing where that got me now I've more just given up on the idea of being with someone at all to save myself going through that again...
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I'm not sure there are just two kinds of people - I think lots of people are looking for balance. :)

I really like a blog post from Huffington post on how to develop a realistic view of love. There's also evidence that people who have a view of relationships as something they have to proactively work at over time rather than just 'happening' to them then they are more likely to be successful at making a relationship work. The hopeless romantic view tends to lead people to believe that if their partner doesn't just automatically understand them, find them attractive 100% of the time and always do right by them no matter what, then it must be the wrong person.

Would love to hear more thoughts on this. It also reminds me of the C4 quiz we posted a while back.
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Agree with Helen, it's not so clear. I'd argue that your perspective now, compared to your wants/desire/ideas of love before can coexist and cause great confusion. So, someone might say that they are very cynical now, but still have those romantic elements of their personality which still glow a little despite what they believe is their better judgement.
    On the whole, I'd say I was a realist. There's a romantic in me certainly, but I wish the whining bitch would shut up already :razz:
    In relationships, as with anything else, the harder you work the luckier you get.

That said, it's easy to see why people may be superstitious about these things, and sometimes I do end up wondering about fate too. The way you meet your partner in a weird and wonderful way can make it feel like that.
    Putting people in groups is risky business. I tend to believe that humans are more good than evil, when the stakes are high people do surprising things. I'm a bit salty now, more realist than hopeless romantic. I have hope, and I am a romantic at heart. Guarded optimist? I know that I will meet somebody that I will share my life with.
    But not now, not here and not looking.
    Hard work is worth the effort because even when failure is a reality, at least you can hang your head on sacrificing in the name of love.
    Nobody should be ashamed of that.