Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How long before they see you without make up?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey :wave:

Superdrug recently conducted some research about how women feel about their partner seeing them without make up on, especially in the early stages of a relationship. Here's what they found:
A third of women admit running to the bathroom immediately after staying over at a partner's house for the first time, just to re-apply their make-up. The survey of 2,000 women found that after that first date, British women wait an average of four weeks and one day before letting a new partner see their makeup-free face.

Check out the full article here.

It also says that:
Six-in-ten women said that they want to be sure that their new partner likes them enough before 'revealing' their true looks.

They reference the scene from Bridesmaids where Annie wakes up in bed with a guy and the first thing she does is run to the bathroom to to touch up her make up...

Sometimes it can take time to build up that confidence that someone likes you for you and not just for the physical attraction.. in Annie's case Ted turns out to be a bit of a dud and she finds someone else that she can be herself with.

What do people think? How long before you let someone see you without make up? Do you even care?

Would you mind if you bumped into them without your make up on when you'd just started seeing each other?

Do guys really want their girlfriends to be made up all the time?

:chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I got with my ex and started staying over it didn't bother me. I made sure he liked me before I actually started staying over though. If I had stayed over earlier on in the relationship I think I probably would have put make up on..

When we woke up I would have a chat and snuggle with him so he did see me without make up.. I was more bothered about the kids seeing me with no make up if I'm honest..

I think it depends on the guys personality whether they want their girlfriends made up all the time. Imo I'm not keen on over the top makeup, I prefer to keep it natural and I think most guys agree with that. But then you have the 'gym obsessed loves themselves guys' that think of women more as an 'object' to make them look good so always want the girlfriends looking like a Barbie with too much make up and really skimpy dresses.
    I've been with my current boyfriend a few months and he's seen me without make up on a lot (because I constantly cry at everything!) but to be fair, he doesn't really like make up. He prefers the "natural" look apparently but there's no way I'll stop wearing it!!
    Never met a woman like this and find the survey results very surprising. Personally I think it's stupid. Last night I probably got an up and personal inspection of your various nooks and crannies all over your body and in the morning you are ashamed enough to put on a mask? I hope she understands she is not doing me a favor that way.
    Either these women have excellent make up that doesn't run when they get sweaty, or their partners are crap in bed.

I also can't quite get my head around the idea that a woman would be happy to let a man put his penis inside her, but taking her make up off is a bit too intimate.
    I also can't quite get my head around the idea that a woman would be happy to let a man put his penis inside her, but taking her make up off is a bit too intimate.

I get where you're coming from but it's not just like that. Everyone is different. Some people just want sex without the emotional side, then some people aren't comfortable enough with their body either so like the light off. I don't think men are so amazing in bed that your make up ends up coming off, that's just silly. Plus let's be honest, men aren't even going to be thinking about their girlfriends makeup when that is happening.

But I'm not saying your wrong, just my own opinion.
    I don't wear much make up anyway but it doesn't really bother me people seeing me without. Most of the time guys can hardly tell the difference, just that I look a bit more 'awake' with it on as I have dark circles and pale lashes.
    I don't wear much make up anyway but it doesn't really bother me people seeing me without. Most of the time guys can hardly tell the difference, just that I look a bit more 'awake' with it on as I have dark circles and pale lashes.
    One of my exes was exactly like this. I really, really didn't get it. I mean, I'm not really one to appreciate makeup on someone in general (especially when it's over the top) but once you've seen every part of their body it seems a bit silly to think that you'd care that much about their face.
    Don't wear make up as a rule and I've always met up with people before we started dating so, before the first date!
    I don't think men are so amazing in bed that your make up ends up coming off, that's just silly.

Well I am that good. I'm with Mr roll. Some of you ladies are missing out.
    So it sounds like makeup isn't really a thing for you guys which is cool :)

krng - I'm wondering did you ever talk to your ex about it? Was she aware that you didn't think she needed to worry about it so much?

What about appearance in general? Maybe clothes or hair or something else.. how do these things interact with your relationship if at all?

Is there anything about how your boyfriend or girlfriend feels about their appearance that has an impact on your relationship?

Jo7 wrote: »
    What about appearance in general? Maybe clothes or hair or something else.. how do these things interact with your relationship if at all?

Is there anything about how your boyfriend or girlfriend feels about their appearance that has an impact on your relationship?

I hardly wore my hair up as he always said I looked too young which was a bit annoying. Eventually he didn't care too much but if we went out to meet someone he would want me to wear it loose.

In my experience clothes is a big thing. I always used to wear comfy joggers with a tight strap top but my ex would prefer me in leggings or a dress or tight jeans to 'show off my figure'. I wasn't always comfortable dressed up like that but I learnt to get used to it. I feel like people find women more attractive in leggings or dresses, stuff like that. I don't know though.. only ever experienced a proper relationship once but I assume every guy is different.

In the first year and a half ish of our relationship my ex used to think I was too good for him which had a big impact. He thought as he was a bit older than me I would prefer all the younger guys and he thought he was ugly so he would get overly jealous and we would argue about it all the time.

To me appearance doesn't matter as much as personality. Yes you do have to think someone looks nice before you get to know him but it's not too important in the long run. He was the most gorgeous guy in the world to me because I loved him.

Oops sorry, accidentally posted that twice.
    Reading some of these has made me realise how lucky I am with my boy. He really doesn't care how I look, I lounge around in trackies all the time with messy hair. Even though I don't feel confident like that he still says I look beautiful which means a lot.
    I hardly wear make up, so it's more of question of seeing me wearing make up for the first time rather than seeing me without it. In 6 months, he's probably seen me without make up maybe 3 times max.

On the clothes front, I haev occasionally felt slightly guilty when he's been down visiting for the weekend, or I've gone up for a visit and end up spending the entire day in really scruffy trackies/PJs. I've got some nice trackies & PJs, and then I've got the ancient, worn out, complete disaster type ones. Not particularly a big deal, and they do get worn from time to time - but they're in the category that I know I probably shouldn't own but come in handy every so often.

Beyond that, I come as I am. I don't dress up/wear make up much, so if anything I'm probably slightly more wary of being seen in 'trying to do the grown up/dress up thing' mode which I'm not particularly confident I'm any good at than I am in chilled mode.
    I wear mine in the morning and when I sleep, and the only time I've not got it on is when I shower, and then I get out and put it on again. Defo my mask, but only 1 person saw me without it, I think..... But I can see why, if you feel comfortable with make-up, and think you look ugly, then why would you take it off?!:P
    Either these women have excellent make up that doesn't run when they get sweaty, or their partners are crap in bed.

This. All the guys I've slept with have either seen me without make up before we slept together or shortly after. OK it might not run completely off my face, but usually to the point I have to take it off.
    krng - I'm wondering did you ever talk to your ex about it? Was she aware that you didn't think she needed to worry about it so much?

Yes I did talk to her about it - didn't make any difference. I tried not to bring it up too much as she had various issues which seemed to lead to a lack of confidence about her appearance. There wouldn't have been anything I could have done to change that really so I left it to avoid making things too awkward.

That's just the way some people are though - another ex never wore make up at all which I'm sure some people would have found just as strange.

Clothes and hair interacting with relationships? Well, when I'm in a relationship generally I just like being myself. If we're going out I might make a bit of effort but around the house I'm likely to be just wearing t-shirt and jogging bottoms because I find that comfortable. If someone is on the same wavelength as me when it comes to that then that makes life easier - else they'll probably be thinking I'm a bit of a slob.
    This is really sad. Most blokes I've asked seem to prefer the natural look...even if that means minimal makeup.
    I wear mine in the morning and when I sleep, and the only time I've not got it on is when I shower, and then I get out and put it on again. Defo my mask, but only 1 person saw me without it, I think..... But I can see why, if you feel comfortable with make-up, and think you look ugly, then why would you take it off?!:P

I wonder about that 1 person - did you feel fine them seeing you or was it just by accident? Was there something different about that person?

Wearing make up is totally up to you, nothing wrong with that at all! I guess learning to love yourself without it can be the hard part. Can you remember when you started wearing it and why?
    I wonder about that 1 person - did you feel fine them seeing you or was it just by accident? Was there something different about that person?

Wearing make up is totally up to you, nothing wrong with that at all! I guess learning to love yourself without it can be the hard part. Can you remember when you started wearing it and why?

He said he liked me better without make up, and with it on I hardly looked any different.

I started when I was 15, because I was called ugly every day and bullied for it. I wear a lode more make up than what I used to, it only used to be foundation if I'm honest.