Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film Club November! - Rebellion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Film Club November! - Rebellion
In line with November 5th, this month is all about rebellion, revolution and insurrection.

Eligible films need to be about or address overthrowing the status quo. Star Trek: Insurrection, V for Vendetta, Star Wars IV-VI, Serenity and Les Miserable are ALL examples you could talk about for this month, plus MANY MANY MORE!

Start talking about films that make you want to rise up and overthrow!

As always, two films will go forward to vote, of which only one can be an 18cert. Get chatting, I will post again to let you know I'll close sellections, but approximately a week. :cool:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No-one likes films anymore?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

If you think Romeo and Juliet is about rebellion and can tell us why, it is in. That applies to all films and all themes. Opinions are the way forward

I love films! But rebellion? Is this like fighting in the film, war and stuff?
    Can be
    Ooh, the shawshank redemption! That's rebellion right?
    Tell me how
    Tell me how

Oh erm... I thought you would tell me if it is rebellion.

Okay, I'm assuming 'rebellion' is like war, and prison, and fighting, and hurting people.

So the shawshank redemption has a lot of stuff like that. It's about two imprisoned men, one of them being done for murder, and there's fighting.. I don't remember what that guy is called but he beat one of them up in that room. I don't know.. all the way through there are rebellious acts.

Yep I know, not the best explanation but I haven't seen the film in ageeesss and don't fully understand what you mean by rebellion.
    Rebellion: an act of violent or open resistance to an established ruler or government

Revolution: a forcible overthrow of a government or social order in favour of a new system.

Insurrection: a violent uprising against an authority or government

Status Quo: the existing state of affairs

Does that help?
    Yep I think.. I shall try and think of another film then

I assume that's a no to shawshank redeption
    I can think of a way it could be. But I really want user engagement. Think away, we can discuss as much as you like
    You can think of a way it could be? I'll get thinking then!

Cool, thanks fiend
    Okay shawshank redemption.. is it because one of the inmates is a bank worker and they scam a guard don't they? I can't remember exactly how but that's government...
    I've been meaning to come back to this.

Here's my thought about Shawshank. That it's about rebellion because Andy subverts the system that the warden is using to extort money to ensure his wellbeing after escape. That being said, when he thought there was witness evidence to clear his name, he still wanted to use the system that locked him up.
    It's about rebellion because Andy subverts the system that the warden is using to extort money to ensure his wellbeing after escape. That being said, when he thought there was witness evidence to clear his name, he still wanted to use the system that locked him up.

This is totally what I was trying to say... :thumb:

Okay, this is my nomination
    Any other ideas?
    I do think I have a few but if you want me to give the reasons I will try and come up with them :)
    If yuo've got one you think would fit, and fancy having a discussion then put it up on the thread, I'm sure Fiend won't mind helping with words.

I've still not sorted my no internet at home problem so don't know when I'll next get on.

My nomination is The Little Mermaid. Might not be readily to hand for many, but hopefully some can remember from childhood. It's a Disney film about a Mermaid called Aerial, who wants to go and be a real person and walk on the land.
    I'm very excited about Catching Fire (Hunger Games II)
    Olympus has fallen, I'm wondering if phone booth is one? Probably not.. but I love that film, The Bourne identity.

I have Aspergers so I'm not the best at explaining things..
    I've been meaning to come back to this.

Here's my thought about Shawshank. That it's about rebellion because Andy subverts the system that the warden is using to extort money to ensure his wellbeing after escape. That being said, when he thought there was witness evidence to clear his name, he still wanted to use the system that locked him up.

spoiler!!

my nomination is fight club
    Phone booth. Hmmm. It's manipulative, a cracking film. What draws you to think it's a rebellion film?
    Phone booth. Hmmm. It's manipulative, a cracking film. What draws you to think it's a rebellion film?

I'm not too sure, I think it's because the police are unable to do anything straight away as the shooter is holding (stu) hostage. So it's like the shooter is overruling..
    The Purge.

Movie about a family who go against the norm and fight against the people taking part in the annual "purge" - a night where any crime is permitted - to defend a homeless guy who the son allows to take refuge in their house.

Actually quite good. Wasn't expecting it to be at all.
    The Purge.

Movie about a family who go against the norm and fight against the people taking part in the annual "purge" - a night where any crime is permitted - to defend a homeless guy who the son allows to take refuge in their house.

Amazing film!
    I'm not too sure, I think it's because the police are unable to do anything straight away as the shooter is holding (stu) hostage. So it's like the shooter is overruling..

Imposing his own justice system
    Imposing his own justice system

So this is a yes?
    Can I nominate 'now you see me' too?
    Sure!
    anymore? What was the first rebellion film you watched? What was the best?