Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Not coping with college

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Didn't know whether to put this in here, or health and wellbeing so mods please move if you need to.

Basically, I am just not coping with college and I don't know what to do. I've already dropped a subject so am only doing 3 whereas most people are doing 4. It hasn't really helped. I hate college, I just want to be allowed to study in the library instead of the classroom but obviously I can't.
The head of student support is very helpful and lovely, but I have a meltdown at least twice a week still. I spent an hour crying in her office today, having only been in college for 10 minutes. I want to get my A-levels so I can go on to uni, but I can't face two more years of this. I don't know what to do? :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What is it about college that you don't like? I hate to ask but while no one at uni will make you go to lectures etc it doesn't go down well if you don't.
    I'm there every day which I find really difficult, if I don't go to a lesson (even if I've shown up to get the work and I sit directly outside the classroom in a learning zone doing it) I'm marked as absent. I can't cope with how loud it is, even in the lessons it's really loud. People constantly talk and throw paper and stuff, and I can't tell what's real and what isn't because it's so busy and noisy.
    I have no problem with the work, I'm getting A's and B's, I just can't cope with the set up. I constantly have panic attacks there. I guess I just want to be able to do all my work in the library but that's not possible :(
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    What if you talk to the learning support person and then they could let you have your lessons seperate if you explain. They have to accomidate for individual needs. Hugs!! :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    They can't let me do that all the time, she's very understanding that I will not attend every lesson and I will leave quite a few during the lesson but they just can't allow me to not attend at all. Thanks for the hugs!
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Yeah I guess. But you will still do the work just not in the classroom its not like your not not attending. Always here if you need a chat!! :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    I can't cope with how loud it is, even in the lessons it's really loud. People constantly talk and throw paper and stuff, and I can't tell what's real and what isn't because it's so busy and noisy.

That at least won't be a problem with lectures as I remember them. You sit down, shut up and take notes. It may well suit you nicely.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    That at least won't be a problem with lectures as I remember them. You sit down, shut up and take notes. It may well suit you nicely.

I found the same. College was rather noisy. Whereas uni was nothing like that.

Can you get your GP to write a letter explaining that it gets too noisy and that you can't cope with the noise?
    Melian wrote: »
    I found the same. College was rather noisy. Whereas uni was nothing like that.

Can you get your GP to write a letter explaining that it gets too noisy and that you can't cope with the noise?

That might work, then maybe you could wear ear defenders in lessons, middle ground?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    That might work, then maybe you could wear ear defenders in lessons, middle ground?

I once asked to do this and was told no.
    With a note maybe the answer will be different.