Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Change of career

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
After 10 years I'm looking for a change of career (lots of reasons, some personal, some professional). Trouble is I've got no fucking idea what I can do. I'm told that after being in the police i'll have lots of transferrable skills, but i'm struggling to think of careers that may want someone who can manage a collision or who is quite handy at explaining the facts of life (not the dirty ones!) to a juvenile shoplifter.
The other issue is not many jobs pay the same wage (£27,000) as what i'm not now without first having a degree.

There's no rush to leave, I could be coming back here in 20 years time asking the same question, which I suppose puts me in a good position, i'm just getting itchy feet.

Any ideas folks?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Probation service? Youth worker (but salaries are shocking), paralegal work, bodyguard, you could probably walk into a management position.
    Part-time international sex kitten ?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Drug dealer. Bank Robber. Pimp.

Just 3 ideas which can be very profitbale without having to further your education.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    Drug dealer. Bank Robber. Pimp.

Just 3 ideas which can be very profitbale without having to further your education.

Lol
    You'd walk into most management positions
    You think? Apart from members of public I've got no management experience at all.
    I assumed after 10 years you'd hold rank. So you'd be heading up team
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Youth worker (but salaries are shocking)

Full-time Youth worker jobs are usually around the 26-28,000 mark put you'd need a specific degree in 'Youth work'. However with current government cuts youth work's probably not the most stable of options anyway.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I assumed after 10 years you'd hold rank. So you'd be heading up team

You'd think so, but nope. I'm still plod.
    You'd be amazed what you can do; try looking at job descriptions of jobs you think you'd like (no matter how much you expect to be underqualified) and start ticking boxes, thinking about what you've done, etc. I suspect you're more qualified than you realise.
    I do keep looking and I have seen some careers that might be a good fit. I just see the dreaded "requires a degree in X" even though i'm probably far more qualified in terms of experience I'm automatically ruled out.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I do keep looking and I have seen some careers that might be a good fit. I just see the dreaded "requires a degree in X" even though i'm probably far more qualified in terms of experience I'm automatically ruled out.

It's often worth calling anyway; they might tell you that if you make a good case for experience in a cover letter / application they will allow it.
    Well I've applied for a couple of jobs in Information Security, I have the required computer ability and I've been living and breathing security most of my working life so fingers crossed.
    That sounds like a good move.