Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting help for anxiety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm new, and I know I haven't introduced myself yet but I need some immediate support.

I've been struggling with undiagnosed anxiety since I was a young child, but it's recently got so much worse. I went to my GP today, and although he listened to me, he obviously couldn't help much. He gave me a leaflet and told me to refer myself to the local mental health services. I have to call a number and set up an over the phone assessment. But I'm a wreck. I was nervous enough this morning before my appointment, but now I'm shaking, feel sick, my chest hurts and I can't think properly and I've not even attempted calling them yet. I don't like phone calls because I can't see peoples expressions and I worry I won't be able to understand them or they won't understand me. I don't know what I can do, because I'm too scared to go back to the doctor and ask him to refer me because it was a locum who I hadn't seen before, and I can't go through telling another doctor it all.

What can I do? I've tried deep breathing but I just can't seem to calm down.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anxiety is a common problem. It create sadness or downswings in mood are normal reactions to life’s struggles, setbacks, and disappointments. Exercise regularly at least 30 minutes in a day, eat healthy and clean food, sleep well and keep in touch with your friends and family.
    Isaac Fitness
    Hi Disaidra
    I think you and I are in similar boats, sort of. I've never worked up the nerve to even see my GP so you're doing really well so far! I get that seeing doctors and making phonecalls and emails can be your worst nightmare, but you've set the ball rolling. Don't undervalue what you've done so far, as a first step. You don't need to do anything immediately now, so take a few days to let your visit sink in and let your nerves settle a bit. Is there maybe a friend or family member who could phone on your behalf? or a website to look at with an email address you could use? If not, and you think phoning may be the only way forward, it might be worth drafting a sort of script to have in front of you when you ring, so you have something to fall back on if you get flustered.
    I hope that helps a bit, and best of luck!
    K
    Did you explain to your gp your anxiety with phone calls? It might be possible for them to call the MH service on your behalf.
    Some good advice from AKA:K there about writing a little script before you call and giving yourself a day or two to do this, there is no rush.

We also have some info on Calling a helpline that might be useful for you to read. I know it's not a helpline you have to call but this article gives some tips on getting over those sorts of fears that you describe: http://www.thesite.org/stepfinder/content.php/162-Steps-to-calling-a-helpline

Let us know how you're getting on *hug*
    I tried a few times to call but kept getting put on hold and bottling it. I eventually got my mom to call on my behalf, and apparently the woman on the phone was very understanding. She asked to speak to me briefly to get my consent, and I now have an appointment for an assessment in person. Fingers crossed it'll be easier now. Thank you to everyone for your help. *hug*
    Really positive news, great to hear. Keep us updated, we'll support you as much as we can :)