Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bank Bother!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i recently cancelled all my direct depts because the bank was saying there was no money in when they was and charging me and then vodafone tried to take some money out even though they know its been cancelled and so i then decided i would close down my account.

but now i dont know which bank is best to go with does anyone know which bank is good??...not abbie national that is the one i have had trouble with.

also is there any law that i can get the bank to give me my money back because none of it was my fault!!!:banghead: :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Its best to get ahold of statements and ask the bank why they were returning direct debits as unpayable when there was money in the account? Are you 100% sure there was money in the account at specific times, or enough money?
  • Options
    Most banks are broadly similar, natwest / rbs which I've worked for in the past seem to have a good emphasis on customer service (when I worked there we would routinely write off charges just as a nicety even though it was obvious looking at the statements that some people really don't look at what they're spending whatsoever), but one of my friends has had a bad experience with them etc.

I'm with halifax because of the big interest free student overdraft and havent really had any problems (except at the branch when applying for the overdraft, the lady only wrote down 1750 instead of 2750 despite us agreeing 2750 - that annoyed me lots), but they have a really bad reputation from what I've heard.

Co op are supposed to be good because they are an ethical bank and tend to invest in ethical ventures or community ventures rather than just american mortgage securities :p.

I would go for the bank with the best rates really as a student I want / need the biggest interest free overdraft i can get, I am interested by the co op bank because it sounds quite ethical, but then some online only banks have had good reports.

I think bank errors though are broadly the same with whatever bank you go to, and the only way to avoid them or minimise their impact is to be very watchful and careful with your money. You should be able to get your bank charges back especially if there were funds in the account, but bank staff can sometimes be arrogant because they think you don't know what you're talking about etc. (at least in branches) and so not terribly helpful.. but just sit down and talk to them about it and with any luck they should refund them to you.
  • Options
    One careful thing to keep an eye on, is that the amount of money thats in your account doesnt always match the available balance.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    One careful thing to keep an eye on, is that the amount of money thats in your account doesnt always match the available balance.

:yes: If you get paid by cheque (like me) you have to leave enough time for it to clear before the payments can be made. Otherwise you get chraged interest as i got the one time I paid my bills too early.
  • Options
    Hey hiddenxxsecrets, you've obviously had an awful experience with your previous bank! Try looking at http://www.moneysupermarket.com/currentaccounts/ as this will show you the best banks which will suit your needs as well as offering customer reviews!

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    May I suggest joining the CAG forums? They have lots of experience with dealing with the Unfair Bank Charges problem. I don't think there's a *quick* solution, but they will tell you what to do to maximise your chances of getting your money back.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/#consumer-forums-center-bank
  • Options
    Don't go with HSBC they rubbish
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Heather,

I'm not sure if you realised, but this thread is about four years old.
    The original poster probably doesn't have this bank problem any more, so I'm going to close this thread now.

It's great that you're giving out advice - you've been posting some really nice responses recently!
    It's probably best to stick to more recent threads though :)
This discussion has been closed.