Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Paranoid and anxious at little things.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, I'm 17 and I've recently had a tough time this year. I was in a manipulative relationship with my ex boyfriend, he was always on line to other girls and was inviting girls round to his house. As time went on I discovered messages on his facebook and phone that were quite flirtatious and I am convinced he cheated on me which he did more than once. During the relationship I suffered from depression and anxiety which triggered my paranoia. I also have trust issues now with people. This is still ongoing and I have seen a counsellor and start therapy in 2 weeks. Also I now have a new boyfriend who is really lovely to me however the anxiety, paranoia and trust issues is affecting the way I view us and our relationship. I sometimes wonder if he is cheating on me even though he probably isn't and I get anxiety attacks over the fact that I think he's out cheating on me. I also visualise it in my head which is not helping.

If anyone has been in this situation before and has some useful advice/tips for me to help reduce my anxiety and paranoia, I would be very grateful as I've tried talking to other people and it is hasn't worked and they can't relate to me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Dani666

Sounds like the last relationship was a tough one for you and sometimes the 'hangover' from previous relationships can follow us into the next one.

It sounds like your already taking positive steps to work through some of the things youre experiencing, for example the therapy sessions could be a real help.

Anxiety attacks can put a real pressure on life and relationships too. I know your quite new to the site but have you managed to have a look at the section on Anxiety and Getting Help?

It has some really great tips on beating anxiety including some exercises that you can do yourself at home.

Check it out and let us know what you think.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/anxietyandstress/anxietygettinghelp

Another idea is talking to your new boyfriend to help him better understand some of the things that are going on for you. He may be already picking up on some signs. It sounds like he is a decent guy and cares for you, so it might be something you can work through together.

Let us know how things go for you.

Phil :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Here's another piece of advice. A bit more blunt, but still.
    Do not get into relationship, if you're not ready to trust. You will not be happy! Trust is the foundation of every relationship!! And besides, you need time to heal after your ex-boyfriend.

Since you're only 17 you have plenty of time ahead of you to meet the perfect guy for you so don't worry! Take your "time off" relationships, enjoy your youth, don't get attached too soon.

When you will develop your self-image and self-confidence than you're ready for a serious relationship.
    There are guys out there that are worth waiting for. Trust me! :heart: