Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Online dating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Probably the gazillionth thread on this topic.

Im thinking about trying it as i pretty much know everyone in my main interest rockabilly scene in my area and dont have much of a social life in other areas. Im 23 and I just feel too young to be trying it.

Miss_Riot I was hoping to PM you but your inbox is full :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it's to do with social life, have you tried meetup.com?

If you specifically want to do it for dating, what do you want to know? I've been doing it for three and a half years and have had varying degrees of success.
    I dont know what I want to know really. Just, is it a good idea for someone of my age to do? By the social life bit I mean I dont do much else where I can meet people I dont already know
    Well what have you got to lose? It all depends how many people your age are on dating sites - I'd guess a fair few. Sure you might get contacted by older guys but you can always ignore that.
    Signed up, got a couple of messages but woken up this morning not feeling comfortable with it at all. There's just something about it I don't like,
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    By the social life bit I mean I dont do much else where I can meet people I dont already know

Then maybe you should work on that if you are not comfortable with online dating. In regards of online dating: If you wanna have success with it you just have to get over the thinking that it's something losers do who can't get anyone offline. This is not the 50s anymore and we pretty much can do everything online, from working, to learning, then why not getting to know people too? That said, I don't like it either. Totally not a fan of this quasi "blind date" thing, because let's face it, there is usually a surprise in for you when you actually meet up then.
    I feel a bit creeped out with the thought of guys leering over my profile and stuff
    I feel a bit creeped out with the thought of guys leering over my profile and stuff

why do you think they might be doing that? have you been leering over any attractive guys profiles? a genuine question not being sarcy or anything.
    Unless you've put dodgy photos up I'm not sure how likely that is. Or at least no more likely than any guy you might pass in the street. Being on a dating site means the other person knows you are interested in the possibility of a relationship sure but I'm sure most guys who look at your profile and are interested would only be wondering whether you would reply to any messages they send.

Is that not the whole point of this all? To entice someone with images and information about you to contact you?
    I am interested in joininh dating websites to meet someone nice.

I looked at a couple, match.com and zoosk.com

To contact people is quite a lot of money to register to use full site.

Does anyone have experience or think its worth it?

I think that i may have just as much chance walking around outside and maybe chatting to someone if the oppurtunity arrives.