Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Soulmates (YA fiction) by Holly Bourne

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Please try to avoid spoilers - we can start a separate thread for those!

So I hope most of you have read Soulmates by now (it was published last month, where have you been?) - what did you think?

16099393.jpg

I'm a big fan; if I still worked for a bookshop I'd be calling it a "high-concept thriller romance" or something but what you need to know is that it's a damn good read.

GoodReads synopsis (edited to remove spoilers):
Every so often, two people are born who are the perfect matches for each other. Soulmates. But while the odds of this happening are about as likely as being struck by lightning, when these people do meet and fall in love…thunderstorms, lightning strikes and lashings of rain are only the beginning of their problems.

Enter Poppy, the 17-year-old cynic with a serious addiction to banana milk, and Noah, the heart-throb guitarist; residents of mediocre Middletown, sometime students, and…soulmates.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My neice loved it and is passing it around school.
    It's awesome. 'nuf said :)
    I read it on the train in about 4 days going to and from work... I even read it standing on escalators... it's a great read :d
    What did people most like about it? I really liked that her mental health (anxiety) was just normalised from the start; it's rare for a book to be so straightforward about mental health and I identified with Poppy in that respect.
    I loved it, cried at the end and I never cry at books. Agree with piccolo, anxiety wasn't Poppy, it was part of her life but not as a defining feature. She was a person in her own right, I liked that.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Have finally got round to reading this, like Jo was a few days commute read, easy as eating chocolate.

I have to admit I did shed a tear at the end too, totally took me by suprise though, haha.
    I ordered this from amazon about four days ago and it still hasn't arrived :grump: I'm assuming it won't arrive today as it's new years day, but it should definitely arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to read it :)
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Started reading this on my kindle app, it's really good. I struggle with reading books cos of my concentration but it is well written and easy to get into. I really like it. :)
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
    I'm nearing the end of this, I'm on page 427 and you've worried me!

I'm trying to guess what I thinks going to happen as a few of you have said you shed a tear, and I'm assuming they weren't happy tears, although I could be wrong.

It is literally taking all of my might not to read the last page! I don't want to ruin it for myself though.
  • *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Aww, you guys!!! *hug**hug**hug**hug*
    I've just finished this, I literally didn't look at the time until now and it's half past one!

Such an amazing book, especially the ending :heart:
    I must admit this book was really interesting. Parts of it I really loved and I did find myself completely hooked and unable to put it down meaning I whizzed through a fairly chunky book in less than two days.
    I really do want to read this book

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk