Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sociology survey!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Heyy guys :) all permissioned up and allowed to post this! It's a domestic labour survey for my sociology A level.

Please only complete it if there is at least one male and one female in your household, it's looking at the division of labour in mixed gender homes.

I know it's probably not the best survey ever, we just need to get a basic idea of who completes household chores. Please feel free to add any additional comments in answer the questions if you want to say more background to the situation (e.g. one person does more because they don't work full time etc.)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NLKF25P

Thanks a lot!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks to those who have answered :) and to the person who's spammed it with stupid answers, I have your IP address and I will be giving it to the mods. I have only posted the link here so there is no doubt you are on the boards.
    And ? No one is going to get a warning/ban from here because they spammed your survey. Data protection act springs to mind 'personally identifiable information'.

You put things out in the public domain, shit happens. Not saying it's right, but it happens.

And a tad pathetic threatening people.
    I haven't threatened anyone, it's just incredibly disappointing that one person has decided to give a very large selection of stupid answers. I gave the IP to the mods so they can ask them to stop, because it's really hampering my research efforts. The IP address of everyone who answers is on my survey answers page. I'd rather you didn't call me pathetic Rubberskin, considering some things in your past. :)
    Yes, pathetic. Wanna drag up the past ? Oh I can play that game too.

Exactly what have thesite and your survey got to do with each other ? Nothing. Passing an IP address on to a third party is a breach of the data protection act.

And yes threatening. It isn't up to anyone here to give warnings to people for spamming your survey.

Get over yourself and stop sending me private messages.
    You really are a dick aren't you? I sent you a private message so we didn't have to do this on the boards, but okay fine. We can do it here.

You're calling me pathetic for PMing a mod and asking them (if they are allowed) to PM the person responsible to kindly ask them to stop. I maybe shouldn't have posted about it, but I was very annoyed because I have A LOT of bullshit responses from the same person. Which there is utterly no need for. I don't want them to get a "warning" I just wanted to know if they could be asked to stop, because it's really getting in the way of my work.

If that is pathetic my dear RubberSkin, then do tell us all about the past and explain how what I am doing is pathetic in comparison? Go ahead :)
    Got to be honest, if you're passing out information from a survey to third parties I won't be answering it.
    You don't live with a man as far as I know so couldn't answer anyway. I was angry, I pmed a mod asking if they can ask the person to stop. Seriously this is getting ridiculous now. I wont be asking for help with work here again that's for sure.
    I suppose it's relatively immaterial now, but you said mixed gender homes, but you seem to mean mixed gender couples. So you're not being totally clear...
    Nope, mixed gender households. They don't have to be in a relationship, it could be a house share. Just need to know who does what, it's for the feminist section of our workbooks on the division of labour between men and women
    Why do people actually dedicate their time to filling out a survey like this when all they wanna do is give shitty opinions? Don't they have anything better to do??!

You either want to help or not. If not there are plenty of other threads to comment in.
    Why do people actually dedicate their time to filling out a survey like this when all they wanna do is give shitty opinions? Don't they have anything better to do??!

You either want to help or not. If not there are plenty of other threads to comment in.

Love you BB :heart:
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Passing an IP address on to a third party is a breach of the data protection act.

Not necessarily. IP addresses are public domain.

If the IP address was used to build a profile of someone then it would become a breach but passing an IP address by itself is not automatically breaching the act.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I think it's clear here that all B_A is looking for is help with her sociology course, no more, no less - it's probably not surprising that she's feeling disappointed that some people are using that as a way to insult her - because by undermining her study, that's exactly what's happening.

Equally, arguing over data protection and third parties? This is a piece of school work guys, lets keep perspective.

As for RubberSkin's past - equally irrelevant to this conversation and hurtful to be mentioned.

So, the message is simple - if you fit the criteria and want to help, please do. If you don't (or do but don't have anything helpful to contribute) then steer clear of this thread.

Thanks.
    I've completed the survey, I've read some of the comments and I'm thinking, really? BA is annoyed (quite rightly imho) that someone is trying to sabotage what I can only assume is an important part of her college coursework, I think it's personally reasonable to ask the mods to help.
    Wether they can or can't is irrelevant, if you don't ask you don't get.

If the person who is sabotaging her work is reading this, ho ho ho, hope you're enjoying yourself. What would be interesting would be if you have the kahoonas to stand up and be counted and explain yourself.
    Thanks Whowhere :) Yep it is really important!! We have to write an essay on the results, we're studying functionalism and feminism and the results of the survey are to support/prove wrong our hypothesis.

Thanks to everyone else who's completed it, got some interesting results :)
    One of my friends is currently living in shared accommodation and was telling me how unfair it is that the male in the household thinks he shouldnt do domestic tasks because he does the DIY...i told her about your survey and read out your questions to answer them on her behalf, as it seemed appropriate at the time!! :) Good Luck with your research :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I haven't done the survey yet, but let me say this in contrast to WL's post:
    When I first moved into shared accommodation, we was two men (let's call the other one Jim) and 4 women. Later I moved into another flat. Jim happened to be there too, plus 3 other men.
    In the second flat, our common areas were much, much cleaner after a month than the ones in the first flat had been in a week.
    I definitely wouldn't disagree with that! I think in SOME instances...mixed gender living can result in people being more pre-occupied with who is responsible based on gender rather than actually doing it!! :)
    Thanks WL, please feel free to forward on to anyone else you know lives in mixed gender households. I don't know many people so a bit stuck really!!

And I think that woman sometimes feel a bit like "I'm not doing this tidying because the men expect me to!" and the men think "I'm not doing all this tidying, it should be shared/the woman should do it" so they probably have a bit of a stalemate and it gets messy!
    I'd be interested to see the results when you are done.
    I just spent a year living in a house with 5 other guys and 1 other girl. It was me that did the majority of the cleaning because everyone else seemed to think their responsibility ended at their own dishes (not wiping the sides/hob down, emptying the bins/taking them out, the loos and bathroom etc). The other girl would do a lot in the kitchen too. I dunno if it was just different standards of living or if the guys were just lazy. There was a 2nd shower that only the 2 french guys and nigerian guy used and they never cleaned it once or even changed the bath mat so it actually rotted away.
    my name wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see the results when you are done.

When I have enough responses I'll post the results on here for those interested! :) At the moment it's fairly how I expected it to be. A lot of stuff equally shared, a few people saying they have a rota, and then a some female dominated ones because the woman works less hours than the man.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    There was a 2nd shower that only the 2 french guys and nigerian guy used and they never cleaned it once or even changed the bath mat so it actually rotted away.

That is vile!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I definitely wouldn't disagree with that! I think in SOME instances...mixed gender living can result in people being more pre-occupied with who is responsible based on gender rather than actually doing it!! :)
    tbh I think (some of) the women were just getting stuff dirty and not cleaning them until they had to (inspections).
    So, I've had 15 responses which is the minimum we need so I thought I'd post the results. Hopefully everyone can read this (it's saved in compatibility mode, so even 1997 word can open it!) if you don't have word and want to see the results let me know and I'll type them up.

Any more responses would be great, especially from households with children :)
    Possible thing to think about, ratio of males vs females who think the proportion of work is unfair perhaps?
    Ahh didn't think about that!! Will see how this survey turns out and then possibly ask a few more questions.
    How interesting at how one sided the answers are, compared to the number of people who think the work is shared equally.