Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film Club October Nominations! - Birthdays and Coming of Age

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
To celebrate Film Clubs first birthday, this month's theme is all about getting older.

Eligible films need to be about or address coming of age (any age) and birthdays. 13 going on 30, Toy Story 3, Juno, Stand by Me, Breakfast Club, and Big are ALL examples you could nominate for this month, plus MANY MANY MORE!

Please make your nominations for this months theme here in this thread.

The format for nominations is:

-Film Title (Cert)
-Film Trailer as a video embed or URL link
-Synopsis:
-Reason for nominating:

As always, two films will win, of which only one can be an 18cert. Get nominating, I will post again to let you know when nominations are due to close, but approximately a week. :cool:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Freaky Friday

Will edit with linkage later.
    Romeo and Juilet (1996 version) (12)

"Shakespeare's famous play is updated to the hip modern suburb of Verona still retaining its original dialogue. The gun-toting members of the families wage a vicious war on the streets as the star-crossed lovers meet their tragic destiny" - IMDb

Because it's Shakespeare :heart: It was one of my GCSE texts and I've loved it ever since.
    Also would like to nominate the Virgin Suicides, if it's deemed suitable?
    Mulan (i dunno if its a u or a pg cause imdb doesnt say)

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3411542297/?ref_=tt_ov_vi

To save her father from death in the army, a Chinese maiden secretly goes in his place and becomes one of China's greatest heroes in the process.

And because it was my favourite film when i was younger - and still is now :D
    ella! wrote: »
    Romeo and Juilet (1996 version) (12)

"Shakespeare's famous play is updated to the hip modern suburb of Verona still retaining its original dialogue. The gun-toting members of the families wage a vicious war on the streets as the star-crossed lovers meet their tragic destiny" - IMDb

Because it's Shakespeare :heart: It was one of my GCSE texts and I've loved it ever since.

Love this. Freaky Friday followed by Romeo & Juliet.
    ella! wrote: »
    Also would like to nominate the Virgin Suicides, if it's deemed suitable?

I'm ok with you nominating it if you can give me a good reason why it's within the theme.

When we do the voting page I'll put a warning by it, but the big mods and film club run on the understanding that no-one has to watch both films, or any of the films, to be able to join in, and also that Film Club isn't as safe as the support areas of the website.
    Mulan (i dunno if its a u or a pg cause imdb doesnt say)

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3411542297/?ref_=tt_ov_vi

To save her father from death in the army, a Chinese maiden secretly goes in his place and becomes one of China's greatest heroes in the process.

And because it was my favourite film when i was younger - and still is now :D

Mulan via disney is a U. I recently discovered on netflix a chinese language version that I'm still to find time to watch.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I'm ok with you nominating it if you can give me a good reason why it's within the theme.

because Google said so.

I haven't seen the film, but I've read the book and it draws on love and tragedy whilst coming of age. It's focused around the lives (and deaths) of the siblings in one family, through the eyes of love struck, verging on obsessed teenage boys, but doesn't follow the traditional blossoming into something amazing, ugly duckling turning into a beautiful swan. It's something within the theme but different.

So.

The Virgin Suicides. (15)

"A group of male friends become obsessed with a group of mysterious sisters who are sheltered by their strict, religious parents after one of them commits suicide." - IMDb
    Any more? Keep them coming
    Come on guys loads of films you could choose
    Last call
    Stand by me! I love that film!
    The Breakfast Club (15)

Five high school students, all different stereotypes, meet in detention, where they pour their hearts out to each other, and discover how they have a lot more in common than they thought.

Reason for nominating: It always comes up on lists of coming-of-age films (and it's cited a lot in Pitch Perfect) but I've never seen it.
    can it be any film,

13 going on 30 its amazing film :D, onley one problam i cont put a tril up :(