Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bank Accounts...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I received a letter from College about an hour ago saying I've been accepted for the Bursary, but they aren't able to pay directly into our banks, but In cheques instead, Only problem is...I'm with Yorkshire Bank and there isn't one in or Near Bristol,

Someone suggested I changed banks...

So if this is the only Option, Then...Whats the best bank? and...Income support is paid into my current bank?...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've got an HSBC basic bank account (benefits account) as I got paid HB by cheque. Only had a shitty cash point card only but that's just been upgraded to Visa Debit. I get, visa debit card, online banking, phone banking and as its a major clearing bank, 3 days on cheque clearance. If I pay in Monday I can draw on Thursday.
    Oh and you can pay in money and cheques at the post office with your card BUT I wouldn't pay in cheques. 1. they probably take longer 2. you have to use the P.O.'s shitty envelop system and from experience they fuck it up.

If you pay cash in at the P.O. you can draw on it immediately.
    Aren't there places that cash your cheques for you?
    Yes, but you have to pay.
    That's great news that you've got a bursary!
    Is there anyone you can trust in Bristol who could pay the cheque in to their account and then transfer it to yours?

The Which? site has a good overview of different bank accounts with rating etc of which ones are good.

:)
    Alternatively come to Gloucester for the day as there's one here and pay it in then change your bank once it's cleared. Have you used their online branch locator to double check?
    Check with the bank as well, you may be able to pay in by post.
    You can bank with more than one bank, so you wouldn't necessarily have to close your Yorkshire bank account. Cheques can also be posted to your holding branch (the one you opened your account at). It carries the small risk of the cheque getting lost in the post, but you can always cancel lost cheques.