Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Forget sexting, send a love poem.

*Seany**Seany* Deactivated Posts: 51 Boards Initiate
Education Secretary, Michael Gove is suggesting that young people drop the sexting in favour of sending a sweet love poem to each other.

What do you think - is he completely barmy, or is it not a bad idea?

More generally, what's your experience with sexting been? Positive? Negative?
Is it all part of the lust, or is it a silly thing to do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Apparently the app was created by Michael Gove's wife's friend, but that aside I think it's a nice idea if you like poetry.

I know this is probably a bit obvious but if poetry is just not your intended's cup of tea they'll just think you're an arse...
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe you can combine them. "Roses are red, violets are blue, I ******* your ******* and ******* ***** you".

In all seriousness, it's not a bad idea to suggest sending poems but surely it's different things for different occasions?
    I'm not so sure about the poetry, but as in my relationship we've got (dyslexia)^2 poetry is fairly unlikely.

That said, one of my favourite electronic messages (it's a note stored on my phone, rather than actually having arrived as a text) is a properly soppy I love you, you rock my world, I love spending time with you etc etc etc type list. I'll stop there before anyone is sick but you get the idea.

Long term, those ones mean far more than the filth.
    But what if you're not in love with the person? :banghead:
    And what if the way you choose to express your feelings is through sexual acts?

Breaking down sexual boundaries with someone is one of the most intimate things a person can do, ime.

And sometimes it's nice to have a bit of fun with someone.

Essentially, fuck you, Mr Gove. Maybe we should try teaching kids that sex is a normal, healthy part of life, that an active sex life is nothing to be ashamed of, and that there are all kinds of ways to enjoy sex and relationships that don't involve love and are all PERFECTLY OK, as long as they aren't non-consensual, abusive, or unsafe.
    Roses are red,

Violets are blue.

When we do anal,

Your cock tastes of poo.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think it's fair to say that Mr Gove should have more important issues on his mind than love poems, particularly when half his teachers are striking next week in regional strikes and another national strike is on the cards before December. He needs to sort out education before sorting out relationships.

Twonk :|
    I guess it depends what context you're looking at the whole thing for.

Sexting is no substitute for soppiness where soppiness is called for. Soppiness is no substitute for filth where filth is what's needed.

I think there's definitely grounds for trying to get the message to young people that there is a time and a place for both. It may be a sign of me turning old - but that cute, I like you, holding hands and kissing phase seems to be disappearing from teenage relationships completely which I'm not sure is a good thing.
    I think it's fair to say that Mr Gove should have more important issues on his mind than love poems, particularly when half his teachers are striking next week in regional strikes and another national strike is on the cards before December. He needs to sort out education before sorting out relationships.

Twonk :|

This. Nothing like a bit of good old denial about the current state of the education system.

If two people are happy exchanging sexts, fine. If two people are happy writing poems to each other, fine. Each relationship is different, Gove cannot and should not bombard his way in, dictating what couples should be doing in terms of communicating their love/feelings. There's a wonderful thing called context. The majority of people in relationships aren't socially inept and know what is appropriate and where.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Roses are red,
    Violets are blue.
    When we do anal,
    Your cock tastes of poo.

I'm a fan of the wordsmith Tech N9ne:
    Get the party jumping
    Keep the hotties humping
    I like them thick and juicy
    So don't pilates nothing
    It?s no wonder people in relationships feel like their phones are cramping their love life???12% of respondents in a relationship said they believe their smart phone gets in the way of that relationship.
    Here's an idea. How about people drop the entire concept of texting whether it is sexting or sending a love poem to a person and they actually talk to each other? Maybe I am getting old but back when I was with my first girlfriend we didn't text each other because the majority of teenagers didn't have mobile phones and we didn't post our personal lives on social networking sites for millions of others to see because they didn't exist. If anything I strongly believe those things are doing more damage to this generation than good because they are turning people into a group of emotionless zombies that severely lack the social skills needed to engage in real conversations because they have grown more accustomed to using their fingers than their mouths and it is kinda sad when you think about it.

I got a new phone earlier this year and it is a royal piece of shit and it took me months to get used to using the new touchscreen crap and as many times as my girlfriend has tried to show me how to use it I honestly can't be bothered and if people want to communicate with me they have to talk.