Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anti-cancer jab for boys? Of course not!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24142695?ocid=socialflow_twitter_bbcnews

Surely more women should be speaking out against this if equality is what they call for?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It looks like a cost thing.
    If that's the case then you'd think equality-activists would be campaigning for better funding to ensure equality.
    Yeah but, priorities.
    But isn't it cheaper to give the jab than cancer treatment and any treatment after the cancer?
    In part I agree with men being given the HPV vaccine (I even asked TheSite to make a page about HPV), but I don't like the way articles are written about the subject. Especially as a gay man (as the BBC article highlights.) You can pay for the vaccination yourself, but where I'm not 100%. I know Boots do it, costs just under £300, but they mention only women. Not men. "If you are a women aged between 18 and 54 and are registered with a doctor" - Source: https://www.boots.com/en/Pharmacy-Health/Health-pharmacy-services/Pharmacy-services-support/I-need-more-information/Cervical-cancer-vaccinations/ - that bugs me more.
    Melian wrote: »
    But isn't it cheaper to give the jab than cancer treatment and any treatment after the cancer?

If everyone got it, yeah. But if it cost 20k to treat one person, and 20k to vaccinate 50 people but only 1 in 100 gets it then you're doubling expenditure
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    If everyone got it, yeah. But if it cost 20k to treat one person, and 20k to vaccinate 50 people but only 1 in 100 gets it then you're doubling expenditure

So someone's life isn't worth £350 just in case it's an "over-expenditure"?
    The HPV vaccine is mostly to prevent cervical cancer, with which it has a significant causal link. ON that basis it goes to women not men.

I've no doubt it will be extended to men in due course, probably when the patent on the drug expires. But for now it is not perceived to be the best use of limited resources.

And resources are limited.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »

Seems so. I fall into the band of women too old for the jab but too young to start getting screened. If I'd been a few months younger I would have been vaccinated when they rolled out the 'catch up' phase. I've known girls fib or exaggerate symptoms a little to convince their doctor to send them for an early screen because they were worried.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »

Of course it's worth it. But the money just isn't there for all of these things.
    Of course it's worth it. But the money just isn't there for all of these things.

It is there, just not put where it should be by those lining their own pockets.

Yet, we can afford to give someone a boob job and other surgery that they don't actually need?

It's going to cost more to treat the cancer too.
    Yet, we can afford to give someone a boob job and other surgery that they don't actually need?

But what if out of 1000 men: (WARNING - COMPLETELY MADE UP FIGURES)
    900 - protected because of their partners being vaccinated
    99 - get the virus but it doesn't progress into cancer
    1 - oral cancer

It's about numbers, cost, and limited resources.

It only costs more if it's very common, now the commonality of it may be rising, so it needs keeping an eye on. It's about a lot of variants though, and it does suck that these things need to be cost effective, even in a perfect system where no-one is lining their pockets, no-one is incompetent and everything is efficient.

I can't speak to boob jobs, because I don't know anyone who's had one, but my understanding is there are health issues involved. I'm not sure what you mean by "other surgery that they don't actually need" because I can't think of an example of that.
    Breast operations are very rarely given on the NHS. Where they are, it mostly tends to be breast reduction surgery, which is usually given because of the health implications of over-large breasts.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Exactly, re boob jobs. My aunt had one on the NHS (reduction) due to fairly debilitating back problems. And even then she had to fight for the operation and had undergone years of other procedures that didn't work / made very little difference at all. So it's not as simple as you make it sound.
    Someone I knew had a breast reduction, she really was a big girl and in a lot of pain and absolutely no chance of having it on the NHS.

Funny thing is the reactions she got when she told people she'd had one.

Women said 'Has it helped ?'

Men say 'Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo' !