Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

assistant suspended for refusing to serve EDL leader

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Full story can be found here

A shop assistant, working in Selfridges, has been suspended due to the fact that he refused to serve a member of the English Defence League and his friend.

Do you think it was right that he was suspended? Or was he right in standing up for his own views?

When is it okay to break the rules if it means standing up for something you believe in?

Comments

• Options
    Just to finish the story that no action is being taken

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24145261

He's employed to do a job, not operate his own boycott policy, though the company seem to have acted sensibly and decided that as it was a one-off and he accepts he was wrong to have him back at work
  • Options
    I think Selfridges have reacted to the damaging PR, given that racist criminal is universally reviled.

Shame they gave the little shit a slap up dinner. I hope the chef came in his custard.
  • Options

He's employed to do a job, not operate his own boycott policy, though the company seem to have acted sensibly and decided that as it was a one-off and he accepts he was wrong to have him back at work

If he really didn't want to serve him, I'd have thought a member of staff in a "high end" establishment would have had the sense to be discreet. Whatever happened to "Sorry sir, I'm currently busy with another matter, if you wait just a moment I will find someone who can serve you".

As odious as Tommy Robinson may be, he and his friend were still paying customers, and the old adage has always been that the customer is always right. That member of staff could have acted a whole lot more professionally than he actually did, and if he had done so Selfridges wouldn't have the PR nightmare it has on its hands right now. And it wouldn't have had to comp the twat an £80 meal.
  • Options
    There's only "Tommy Robinson"'s word that he was told to fuck off. Surprised that nobody has challenged this account, given that "Stephen Yaxley" has a string of fraud and violence convictions as long as your arm.

I wouldn't trust "Paul Harris" to tell me the time.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I think the outcome from this was right. The staff memeber was wrong, but firing him would have been wrong and Selfidges were right to apologise to Tommy Robinson.

Not much of story really.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    There's only "Tommy Robinson"'s word that he was told to fuck off. Surprised that nobody has challenged this account, given that "Stephen Yaxley" has a string of fraud and violence convictions as long as your arm.

I wouldn't trust "Paul Harris" to tell me the time.

Forget the fuck off part, the member of staff should have been more professional. As Skive said, he was disciplined, kept his job and old Tommy got an expensive apology.
    If you're going to work in a customer service role, you can't pick and choose who you serve.
  • Options
    Wrongheaded shop staff refuses service to hooligan monikered victim-player. What a story.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Regardless of who the customer is, there's nothing wrong with asking for assistance in a store. An employee's job is to help. As much as I wish people like the EDL would disappear from the earth, the employee is totally in the wrong here.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If you're going to work in a customer service role, you can't pick and choose who you serve.

Yes you can, witness the number of fat yanks in tracksuits who bleat in the Evening Standard that Harrods wouldn't let them in.

It's a shame Selfridges, which tries to pretend it is just as exclusive, didn't think to operate the same policy.

I can't imagine Liberty grovelling to a fraudster football hooligan, can you?
  • Options
    Yes you can, witness the number of fat yanks in tracksuits who bleat in the Evening Standard that Harrods wouldn't let them in.

If he'd been refused entry because he failed to adhere to a dress code, that would be a different story. I agree with what most people say here. Someone's political views should have nothing to do with whether you'll serve them in a shop or not, especially if you don't own the shop. If we were talking about a religious or philosophical belief, what he did would actually be illegal. For some reason that's a mystery to me, they are treated differently to political beliefs. But imagine if nurses started to treat people differently if they were members of the Tory party, because they disagreed with their healthcare policies.

Incidentally, it's worth pointing out that he didn't actually refuse to serve the EDL bloke himself, he refused to serve someone else on the grounds that he was with the EDL bloke.
  • Options
    Unless the customer was being abusive etc, I don't feel that staff can unilaterally decide who they will, or will not, serve once inside the shop.

Next thing you know, Labour supporters may be shunned by Tory staff and vice versa etc.

As it happened, it was all resolved satisfactorily.