Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Copper coil

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A friend of mine has been told to get the copper coil. Basically she's reacted really badly to hormonal treatment, so this is her only option now! She went to see her GP and they recommended getting it fitted, but she really knows nothing about it.

Just wondering if anyone has an experience with it? My mum has the hormonal coil, and she said it's really painful having it in, and also said the copper one can cause really bad periods?

Any knowledge about it would be great!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a copper coil for about 6 weeks - I too can't have hormonal contraception, so tried this out. I only had it for six weeks because when I went for a check up I asked her to cut the wires as they were really long, and she pulled it out. I didn't want to get it put back in at that point as I was too stressed out, so now I'm all natural!

It was quite painful to get it put in - a lot more painful than I remember the mirena being. I dosed up on 24 hours worth of ibuprofen and one dose of paracetamol beforehand, and it was still pretty uncomfy. I was out of it for the evening, and not feeling right for a day or so. The period I had on it was stupidly heavy, but I don't know if that was just cos it was the first bleed on the copper one and I'd had the mirena and no periods previously.

The one thing I did find with the coil is that having sex with long penises was quite painful, which I didn't really like! But could just be my body set up.
    Thanks Purple_roo :) I said I'll go to the clinic with her sometime soon to talk about it, the doctor she saw was a bit useless and didn't say much other than to get it fitted.
    When you got it fitted what actually happened? Did they just... put it in with their hands? Sorry I know it's a bit grim to answer but the whole getting it fitted thing is what's freaking her out the most I think!!
    Ew that sounds awful!! Will send her the link thanks RubberSkin
    My friend had it fitted. She was in a lot of pain for the first couple of months, but now is pretty much pain free. She also gets paranoid about it moving or dislodging - so a few panicked visits to the GP! Would say that it very much depends on the individual about how your body takes to it....
    Just posting the link to TheSite's article on the coil for you.

Hope it's helpful :)
    Oh btw, my mate had one fitted and she was fine except when she went up and down stairs. She went back to the GP and it turns out they fitted her with a Slinky :)
    I'm not sure if you can use mooncups if you have a coil due to the suction they create and the potential to dislodge them. I could be wrong but it's worth considering if she does use one or plans to use one
    Yeah, the mooncup is not advisable to be used with the coil, especially during the first few months of embedding!

The NHS link explains it all, but as a bit of further info:

They put a speculum in, and make sure that they can see your cervix, sometimes pinching the cervix open with some form of device - quite uncomfy! They then put a measuring device through your cervix that they then expand to touch the walls of your womb and check what size coil they need to put in. This is not a nice procedure, it can be uncomfortable/painful. Then they put the actual coil itself in, which feels similar to the measuring check.