Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dropping an AS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Heyy so.... it turns out 4 AS was a bit optimistic, and I'm thinking I'll drop one. I feel like such a failure but I'm getting stressed already and it's only a week in.
How much is dropping one going to hinder me?
I would want to carry the 3 on to A level, I just don't feel at the moment I can cope with doing 4AS. Mainly because it's such a huge leap from how much I did at GCSE (I was in school for less than 10 hours a week, and that was all the work I did)
If I don't have 4AS will I still be able to get into uni? (assuming I do 3A levels still)

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heyy so.... it turns out 4 AS was a bit optimistic, and I'm thinking I'll drop one. I feel like such a failure but I'm getting stressed already and it's only a week in.
    How much is dropping one going to hinder me?
    I would want to carry the 3 on to A level, I just don't feel at the moment I can cope with doing 4AS. Mainly because it's such a huge leap from how much I did at GCSE (I was in school for less than 10 hours a week, and that was all the work I did)
    If I don't have 4AS will I still be able to get into uni? (assuming I do 3A levels still)

It's been a long time since I did my AS Levels but when I did them (the second year they were running) they seemed to be treated more as a predictor of A Levels and a way to keep some options open.

There are other things you can do to enhance a UCAS form; grade 6 and above music exams (for example) count for UCAS points.

What are your uni plans?

Don't forget, things may settle down as you get used to working at a higher level (I remember the jump from GCSE to AS being much bigger than I thought!).
    My step sister only took 3 to start with and she still plans to go to uni. An AS can get you a few extra UCAS points but if it's going to affect your other grades then it will probably be worth dropping. I recall being overwhelmed at the jump from GCSE to AS at first.
    if you get three decent A levels you should have enough points to get into a good uni. often when you get an offer for a course they only accept points from your full A levels anyway. it's better to get three good grades than four poor ones because you had too much work to do, especially if you were going to drop one at the end of the year anyway.

try not to be put off by the press going on about people with six A levels and all of that rubbish. for the vast majority of degree courses you need three. worst case scenario, you don't don't do as well as you hoped or don't get enough points, you can take an extra year at college and do another A level.
    omg hi wrote: »
    it's better to get three good grades than four poor ones because you had too much work to do, especially if you were going to drop one at the end of the year anyway.

:yes: I found my A Level year a bit easier (the jump academically was less and I had some good grades to stand on) so I did an extra AS then, but it wasn't necessary for uni.
    Thanks guys, I dropped psychology today. They were really understanding about it and said I'll be fine getting in to uni. I feel really shitty about it but I just wont be able to do the work. I only did 2 hours a day at school, doing 32 hours a week of work is such a huge leap and my mental health isn't great at the moment anyway.

Thank you for all the votes of confidence though, every one else I asked about it said I was just being a failure. Love you guys :heart:
    Don't forget you can always do an extra year, better to pace yourself and get better results in the end than force it and let everything go tits up. What else are you doing?
    Law, sociology and government and politics
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    I did 5 for AS and A-Level and it is Hell, it's worse if you have personal shite flying from all directions too. I wanted to prove it to myself and really loved my subjects. However, I know plenty who have done brilliantly on just 3. In fact, overall I'd say that it's better to do three, just in case the fourth one drags the rest down (that happened to a few people, so they quit), and you will have to accept that the 'other one' will be a weaker one. If you feel that you are struggling now, drop one. You've done the best thing and your other three subjects will probably be even better for it. All the best :)
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Lots of unis only look at the best 3 subjects or the ones required for that course, and a lot don't actually look at AS unless you did crap at GCSE or something like that. 3 AS subjects isn't a problem unless your course requires a load of UCAS points but even then its managable. You could even take up something like Critical Thinking in your second year if its offered but then I'm not bothering cos a lot of unis, and the ones I'm applying for, don't look at it. Basically, don't worry. :)
    I've done Critical thinking. Not again thank you! Pile of shit! Haha. I guess I'll just have to go to a not great university if worst comes to worst. Meh, not even sure I want to go any more anyway. Actually have no clue what I will do with my life.
    Tbh university is overrated. If I had my time again I think I'd have gone the vocational route, especially with how much it costs now. Unless you know what you want to do and it requires academic study it isn't worth it.
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Tbh if you come out with a really good score/grade (whatever it is) at uni employers will probably look past it unless you're after a really popular job and there's lots of competition. I find its best not to worry about that though, just focus on getting through the year and doing it all and that's it. That's all you need to worry about for now. A day at a time, having that mindset has really helped me to chill
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Tbh university is overrated. If I had my time again I think I'd have gone the vocational route, especially with how much it costs now. Unless you know what you want to do and it requires academic study it isn't worth it.

Pretty much this.

If this was me, I'd do 3 A Levels and if I hadn't decided what to do at uni, I'd take a gap year and get some work experience and decide from there what to do.
    don't feel shitty, cause im dropping german, so you're not the only one and apparently you only need 3 at a/2 anyway, so there's no point stressing and bringing your points down with another subject that you'll drop anyway:) thats my view anyway.

But if you really wanted some more points or something, you could do epq. Its like critical thinking but uni's think of it really highly because it shows you have indepentant learning and stuff etc.

:D