Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Book Club 2nd Birthday Special: Best of Book Club

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
To mark our 2nd birthday, we are having a special birthday edition of book club: Best of Book Club!

So, no nominations this month, you'll have a choice from the amazing titles we've read so far.

This thread will be open for a while before we add the poll for discussion. What did you love reading? What did you really dislike? Which months did you miss?

And looking forward, what themes would you like to see?

(Apologies for not including the covers this time, there are too many!)

October 2011: One Day by David Nicholls

November 2011: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

December 2011: The Wind Singer by William Nicholson

January 2012: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

February 2012: When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman

March 2012: Snuff by Terry Pratchett

April 2012: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

May 2012: Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

June 2012: World War Z by Max Brooks

July 2012 (non-fiction): Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

August 2012 (children's): The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

September 2012 (classics): Persuasion by Jane Austen

October 2012 (coming-of-age): To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

November 2012 (horror): The Passage by Justin Cronin

December 2012 (dystopia): The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

January 2013 (crime): Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

February 2013 (LGBT): Orlando by Virginia Woolf

March 2013 (adaptation, joint with film club): The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

April 2013 (Japan): Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

May 2013 (graphic novels): Maus by Art Spiegelman

June 2013 (animals): Timoleon Vieta Come Home by Dan Rhodes

July 2013 (sci-fi): I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

August 2013 (summer reading): American Gods by Neil Gaiman

September 2013 (magic): Northern Lights by Philip Pullman
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I remember the first book club book, I was really eager to participate, so I bought the book! Of Amazon! And remember not having the time to get in to chat, haha, however, I now just go to my local libary to see if they have the book, if not, (Which is rare) I borrow my friends kindle, she's a large fan of reading and will read any book!

However, talking about books, I recently read 50 Sheds of Grey, it's an amazing charming love story, which made me laugh, most of the way through it, it's one of those books that really does want to keep you reading! http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/280-3806424-2841421?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=50%20Sheds%20of%20grey%20 Sadly school won't let me click it, but they have another parody coming out soon to called Fifty Sheds Damper! Always worth the read really quick book to read, I read it within a college Lunch time!

Best wishes,
    Angel
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lol, Angel.

You can join in with discussion even if you don't come to chat, there's always a thread :)

What's been your favourite so far?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    piccolo wrote: »
    lol, Angel.

You can join in with discussion even if you don't come to chat, there's always a thread :)

What's been your favourite so far?

That quesion should never be asked when talking about books, it's to difficult to answer. But the last book I read and have honestly fallen in love with was The Fault in Our Stars. It's a charming and beautiful book. One of those books that really do want you to not stop reading! Love can be found in strange places ;) Even if the setting is a support group!

I have read to Kill a mocking bird, which is another book I had fallen in love with, it's difficult to choose a book I actually like, when they are all enriched with a variety of emotions. I remember me and my friend talking about books killing us inside, and it's like we can't talk to anyone about it, because they wouldn't understand, haha! I'm guessing Shutter Island is the same as the film? I've loved books more than Films because they have the extra details in and stuff, and you can image it up, instead of actually seeing it.

But your questions is like, asking a squirrel to choose between which nuts he wants to nom on!

Best wishes,
    Angel
    lol I know!

The Fault in Our Stars and To Kill a Mockingbird are two of my all-time favourites. I also love American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and (although we've never read it in Book Club) Oranges are not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson.

I'd really like Book Club to read The Fault in Our Stars again, I think a lot of people would enjoy it.
    I want people to pick The Passage again, because I didn't get to finish it last time and I'd really like to.
    I missed a month early on, when you read When God Was a Rabbit, so id like to read that.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I have a lot of the books but haven't got around to reading them or haven't been able to make the discussions/chats. So far I have loved all of the books I got around to reading (One Day, Snuff, Like Water For Chocolate, WW Z, The Passage, Orlando, Norwegian Wood). I remember reading the Wind Singer when I was younger and I found it such a drag, but don't know if it really was; maybe I should give it a second chance. Funnily enough I just got Maus out of the library to read today and am half way through already.

I'm not sure what I'd like to read. Whilst I have enjoyed the ones I've read, some of them I wouldn't read again, or at least not so soon. The Passage was great, but took me 3 months to get through! The Handmaid's tale was memorable, but again not so soon. The problem is, I've read the majority of the books from book club within the last 3 months!

Maybe The Hobbit - my mum always gives it bad press but if everyone else loves it, I should give it a go!