Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Employers checking social media

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So today I got a lecture off my grandparents (who don't use fb) about being careful about what I write on fb in case potential employers come snooping. Now I have everything on the highest privacy settings - so you can't see anything unless I'm friends with you and I trim my friend list quite often. I only have about 130 on there and I even restrict what some of them can see. I told them this but they still reckon they find ways around it. Now if this is true then surely that's breaching rights to privacy? Can anyone in the know clue me up as to how they do it and what they can and can't do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Generally if you have your privacy settings set up correctly, unless an employer tricks you into adding them as a friend, then you should be safe. It's likely this information and the misguided nature behind it, could be down to the fact that they dont understand and use fb etc. There are always ways around things, almost always, but this is likely due to a hacking attack or server issue etc, not something that would happen with employers.
    Yeah that was what I thought. Basically I moaned about an employer not offering me feedback after an interview when there was only 6 of us up for it, I also had to go through a lot of trouble to go to that interview and spent money I didn't have. So I was a bit peeved and mentioned it in comments when people were asking about it. So my cousin (who works in IT at a college) ran off telling my grandparents - but never said anything to me. So then I got an earful even though I explained there was no way they would see it.
    Well for something like that would it matter if the employer saw it if you didnt get the job anyway? I never moan about work on facebook though anyway, just in case
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Not always bad. I work for a company with 5000 employees and follow the MD on Twitter and he follows me back!
    Unless you actually mention the company, how do they know it's them you're talking about?
    Some companies will look at y our social media profile if you're aiming for an important job, or a job where they'll be embarrassed if you're embarrassing. But most really don't have the time to go snooping around on everyone.

You can check what other people can see on your wall very easily through Facebook, so do that and don't worry. I suspect your grandparents just don't understand.
    Even my employers (police) are unable to get past my privacy settings without a warrant from a court. if they can't do it, your employer certainly can't do it.
    You can check what other people can see on your wall very easily through Facebook, so do that and don't worry. I suspect your grandparents just don't understand.

:yes: It sounds like you're doing all the right things.
    Thanks guys, I was pretty certain I was right
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I was pretty certain I was right

I forgot to mention the twat factor. You might have a twat for a friend who prints off what you write and shows it someone.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I forgot to mention the twat factor.

Isn't that on ITV Saturday nights ?
    Every night looking at the listings :)
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I forgot to mention the twat factor. You might have a twat for a friend who prints off what you write and shows it someone.

Well I keep my fb list to the bare minimum and the less well known/trusted people can't see the majority of my posts anyway
    Although privacy settings done correctly will keep your profile 99.9999999999999% secure, the only way to ensure security is to not post something in the first place.