Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stealing!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So in a nutshell, I've been stealing, this isn't the first time, it's happened for a few months. I just take things, and I don't know why.

I take watches, jewellery, bags or anything that treats my fancy, including bits and bobs of make up, etc. I've tried to resist stealing, but I can't stop. I also haven't been caught yet. But I know first time I took something, I was really suspicious about it and still didn't get caught?

Help?

Comments

• Options
    stealing from ? friends, where you work, shoplifting ?
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    stealing from ? friends, where you work, shoplifting ?

Shops are kind of my thing!
  • Options
    It would be rare taking things from friends though.
  • Options
    If you get caught stealing from shops you risk being arrested, getting a criminal record and fucking up your chances at decent employment for the next few years.
    Stealing from your friends? The above, and the probability that you'll be shunned for the rest of your life. As the saying goes, nobody likes a thief.

Coming here was the right thing to do, i'm fairly sure someone will be along soon with a link to someone who can help you better.
  • Options
    Do you use/sell the things you steal ? For instance, a man stealing razor blades as opposed to stealing make-up.
  • Options
    Kleptomania? Have you thought about seeing a psychiatrist to understand why?
  • Options
    Hiya JamesIsNotOnFire

The others have made some good suggestions already and I wanted to echo Whowhere and say well done for coming here to ask. That alone shows you have some kind of remorse and understanding that what you're doing isn't right - the next step is to work out how to stop.

I'm afraid I don't know of any useful links to give you on this one, but I think getting to the root of why you want to do this could definitely help. It could be displacement - i.e. you're worried/upset about something else but using stealing as a way to distract yourself from that. Or it could be a way of getting a 'high' - stealing can become an addiction in the same way as drugs and alcohol. Like JavaKrypt suggests, it might be that you have to explore these things with a counsellor.

If you think this sounds like a good idea, check out our guides on what happens when you start counselling as a starting point.

Any thoughts on the responses so far? Do keep posting...