Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film Club Nominations: September - Action!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Please make your nominations for this months theme here in this thread.

The theme is "action films", the format for nominations is:

-Film Title (Cert)
-Film Trailer as a video embed or URL link
-Synopsis:
-Reason for nominating:

As always, two films will win, of which only one can be an 18cert. Get nominating, I will post again to let you know when nominations are due to close. :cool:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Action films anyone?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Predator (18)

Warning - UGC trailer, but made me smile so included it...

Synopsis: A team of commandos, on a mission in a Central American jungle, find themselves hunted by an extra-terrestrial warrior

Nominating it because it's an absolute classic - I only watched it for the first time this year - Arnie is a legend in it.
    Johnny English Reborn PG

Rowan Atkinson returns to the role of the accidental secret agent who doesn't know fear or danger in the comedy spy-thriller Johnny English Reborn. In his latest adventure, the most unlikely intelligence officer in Her Majesty's Secret Service must stop a group of international assassins before they eliminate a world leader and cause global chaos.

Not a huge fan of action films, so I'm throwing some comedy action into the mix.

Will post a clip tomorrow when I'm on my laptop.
    Comedy action is a fantastic idea. I hadn't thought of that yet!
    I have my moments
    I'm not a big action fan but I've heard good things about this one:

RED (12)

"When his peaceful life is threatened by a high-tech assassin, former black-ops agent Frank Moses reassembles his old team in a last ditch effort to survive and uncover his assailants."

Reason: I've heard good things about this, and about the comic book miniseries that inspired it.
    Bullet to the head (15)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuCUpV81tNE

After watching their respective partners die, a New Orleans hitman and a Washington D.C. detective form an alliance in order to bring down their common enemy.

watched it in cinema with a few mates and not really into action but really enjoyed ot
    Friends, there is only one choice. And that is Commando (18).

Why you ask? Just watch the trailer!

[video]http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi700383513/[/video]

Need more? Okay!

1) Big Arnold at his prime.
    2) This amazing dialogue:
    [video]http://youtu.be/8tdSQaqc9vA[/video]
    3) It's spectacularly violent from the get go.
    4) One fight scene takes place entirely in an air plane chair.
    5) This and this are the first image search results.
    6) Arnold Schwarzenegger + guns + knives + amazing tongue in cheek writing = one of the greatest films ever made.
    7) After you watch it, Commando becomes the film by which all others are judged. If a friend says "Hey, is the new attempt to chase in on a semi popular book about vampires any good?" you will say "Not as good as Commando."

If you do not enjoy this film, you are wrong.
    I watched Red a couple of weeks ago.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php/104865-The-quot-Last-Movie-You-Watched-quot-thread?p=2491372#post2491372

I think it's worth watching, but then I have a soft spot for Helen Mirren :)
    So I'm loving Jason Statham films at the moment. I'm going to only nominate two though.

The Transporter (15)

Synopsis: Frank Martin (Jason Statham) is the best as what he does: transporting dangerous or illegal goods with no questions asked. But his last shipment, a beautiful young woman kidnapped by international slave traders, brings deadly complications to his delivery plans. Now Frank must kick into overdrive in a nonstop action-packed fight to save his precious cargo--and his life.

Reason for nominating: It's awesome.

The Mechanic (15)

Synopsis: Follows an elite hit man as he teaches his trade to an apprentice who has a connection to one of his previous victims.

Reason for nominating: It's also awesome
    Any more for any more?
    Miss Congeniality
    Any more for any more?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Now you see me

Trailer

IMDb

An FBI agent and an Interpol detective track a team of illusionists who pull off bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with the money.

Reason : I need to watch it sometime! This gives me a reason to!
    Last chance. Nominations close today.
    I had thought of one and now I can't remember what it was :grump:

But this is me kinda nominating The Chronicles of Riddick. I will do the proper nomination format when I get home.
    Do you want Chronicles or Pitch Black? or both? (Incidentally, Riddick (number 3) is out soon, super excited)
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Do you want Chronicles or Pitch Black? or both? (Incidentally, Riddick (number 3) is out soon, super excited)

Wasn't sure if Pitch Black would count, but if it does then both :)
    Johnny English and Miss Congeniality but no mention of The Running Man, Hard Target, Red Heat, Raw Deal, Double Impact, Heat, Escape from New York, any Indiana Jones, Magnum Force, Sudden Impact, Conan, Roadhouse...

It hurts my soul.
    Infinite. wrote: »
    Johnny English and Miss Congeniality but no mention of The Running Man, Hard Target, Red Heat, Raw Deal, Double Impact, Heat, Escape from New York, any Indiana Jones, Magnum Force, Sudden Impact, Conan, Roadhouse...

It hurts my soul.

Nominate them then, you twat.
    Nominate them then, you twat.

I nominated Commando! One man, one nomination. And I would write at least 1000 words just about the running man, it would take at least 3 days for me to do these films justice.
    You can nominate more than one.
    Nominations are now closed.

Unfortunately, having checked, the DVD for Now You See Me isn't released until Oct 28th, so we can't include it this time. Sorry Angel.