Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being sent harassing texts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...from Someone I met online. He was abusive verbally before so I told him to hop it and he hasn't he's continued. My PA called and asked him to stop and he verbally abused her as well. This has been gone on for over a month now but I don't have all the texts because I deleted them in hope of him stopping.

What can I do without changing my number (last resort!) ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Police.
    Go to the police, print out your phone records that show how much he is texting you and save any texts you get from him in the future. Also if he calls you again answer the phone and record what he says, take that to the police.
    You could PM Whowhere, he's quite sharp on policey stuff, obviously :) or ask him to reply in here.
    Don't delete the texts and block his number.

Had someone do similar to me earlier this year. He finally stopped after he was told 3 times by me to stop texting me and he then saw me, wouldn't leave me alone and then promised to stop it. Dreading seeing him again.

In my case, I didn't (because it came and went so quickly) get the police involved.
    I cant block his number without going to the police on my network. Can i ask the network to retrieve deleted messages?
    I doubt the network would tbh. Keep any more texts and go to the police - do you have a name and address for him? When my brother was getting abusive answerphone messages and phone calls the police were really good about it and issued them all with warnings and the guy who's phone it was got a 6 month restraining order. They offered to press charges so they do take it seriously. What kind of abuse is it exactly?
    Called the police and ive got to give a statement. They'll be sending a officer around at some point within the next 2/3 days
    Some of it has been calling me things like cripple and stuff and other times its messages like "lets fuck". The police told me they can retrieve messages if needs be and they can talk to both my network and his to block his number
    I really don't know what is wrong with some people. Sounds like he has issues
    Weird how I missed this.

From now on

1.Keep all text messages/emails e.t.c. he sends
    2.If he rings, answer but don't speak. Leave the line connected.
    3.Do NOT respond to any messages, regardless of their content.

If you do the above, he'll quickly get bored and the police will have the evidence they require as well.

The police can and should attempt to (well at least our way we can)
    1.Trace his number. If it's pay and go there are other avenues (ie credit card used to top up)
    2.Visit him and action they can take, depending on what you, the victim wants

Warn him.
    Issue him with a penalty notice (£100 fine)
    seize his computer/phone as "evidence"
    Arrest, interview, charge him.

He has broken several laws, the easiest to prove is the telecommunications act which makes it an offence to send nuisance, malicious, harassing, offensive communications via the public network.
    Harassment, it is an offence to pursue a course of conduct that harasses another person.
    Stalking, it's a new offence so i'm not sure of the criteria.

Basically, stuff like this is dead easy to stop.
    Ha! My local force will do nothing they told me to either ignore him or change my number. So considering its really getting to me I've had to change my number :(
    Don't accept that, it's bullshit. They can and should help. Call the control room, demand to speak to an inspector and make sure the call is logged and you have an incident/crime number.
    I have an incident number but that's it.
    You can ignore it if you like and change your number, it's your decision. The police have a duty to investigate it if you so choose.

If you do, call them again, quote the incident number and demand they take it seriously.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The police have a duty to investigate it if you so choose.

If you do, call them again, quote the incident number and demand they take it seriously.

This. Have a look at our article on phone harassment which basically says the same - and tells you which act to quote to get help from the police.

I hope it stops soon, it doesn't sound very nice :(
    Can you ask to speak to another officer?
    I've changed my number and hoping that's an end to it. It's bloody annoying but I've got so much on my plate right now with feeling unwell and the tribunal coming up I haven't the energy to chase this one up.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I've changed my number and hoping that's an end to it. It's bloody annoying but I've got so much on my plate right now with feeling unwell and the tribunal coming up I haven't the energy to chase this one up.

Surely the police do all the work though? Just ring up and demand they take it seriously, kick up even a little bit of a fuss and they should do all the investigating for you.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Surely the police do all the work though? Just ring up and demand they take it seriously, kick up even a little bit of a fuss and they should do all the investigating for you.

They should do. I clearly hold myself to a higher standard by the sounds of it.